Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Default English Premier League: Sunderland

I want to hear what you guys have to think about Sunderland and the Premiership. Some say they will be in the top half some say in the bottom half. Some say they will be relegated others say they could make it to the top 6.

As far as the team goes and getting players Keano has been very busy. For the back he has already signed Russell Anderson and Greg Halford. Russell hails from the Scottish Premier team Aberdeen where he started almost every game. Halford played for Colchester for most of his 07 season and towards the end played for Reading some. With those two additions as well as Danny Collins, Nyron Nosworthy, and Stanislav Varga Sunderland should have a good solid back to build off from. Not only that but Keano is looking into Leighton Baines. If he was to get Leighton they would have a very strong back.

They have also added to their midfield with the addition of Dickson Etuhu and Kieran Richardson. Richardson came from Man U where he was used more as a substitute or started when one of the regulars needed some rest. Dickson Etuhu comes from Norwich and started every game. Both players look to be promising but definately need some fine tuning. I don't think they will be a difference maker by themselves but with help from the rest of the squad they could certainly help propel Sunderland up the rungs.

Michael Chopra came from Cardiff from the Champions League. He could add some much needed goals now that Sunderland is in the Premiership. His goals along with Murphy and Connolly could easily determine whether Sunderland is in the top or bottom half.

Finally Keano is looking into Craig Gordon for a keeper. If picked up getting through the D and then the keeper could be very challenging for opposing teams.

And lets not forget about Roy Keane. His background and history definately supports him and what he is doing with the team. It looks like he is more than willing to shell out money for players to ensure Sunderland has a solid team throughout the year. Not only that but he won't settle with subpar playing. He will make sure every player knows what he is supposed to do when on the pitch.

So with all the being said I think Sunderland has a promising future. I think they can finish in the top half not a problem if they don't get sloppy. It seems like they also have the will to spend the money to ensure they get in the top half. Not that buying up all these players will do that for them but at least they have a drive. Right now I wish Roy Keane wouldn't play some players in games that don't really have a chance at being on the 1st team. In the friendly preseasons that is. I think the players who will be on the 1st team and starting need to get a chance to mesh and gel with each other. He has already brought in a lot of new players and is looking to bring in more. It would be best if they got off to a good start and gained some momentum in the beginning of the year.

So what do you guys think about Sunderland? What about them makes you think they are going to do well/bad? I think they should be a fun team to watch this year.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: English Premier League: Sunderland

The most significant addition to the squad is without doubt Kieran Richardson.

That said, you would be best advised not to get carried away just yet. While Roy Keane's pedigree as a player is unquestioned, he is still a young and inexperienced manager. Sunderland performed impressively in what turned out to be quite a weak Championship. The Premiership is a whole different beast.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of Keano's standout players have been Man Utd loanees. These are players he had the luxury of having played with and has personal experience with, an advantage he will not have this season, with the exception of Kieran Richardson -- who, bizarrely, was one of the players he most strongly criticised in his TV tirade that eventually meant the end of his Man Utd career. While I rate Richardson as a player, I am perplexed by this signing. This is effectively Keane's first foray into the transfer market.

Sunderland have been a yo-yo club in recent seasons and it shouldn't be lost on you that they consistently post record low points totals in the Premiership. Realistically Keano will be looking to avoid relegation. A top half finish will be considered an unqualified success. I'll lay you 500/1 that Sunderland will not finish in the top 6.

Personally, I see them avoiding relegation and finishing in the 12-15 spot. Keano is inexperienced but his knowledge is current, having played with and against many of the Premierships current stalwarts. But lest not get carried away. Don't forget that pundits were predicting West Ham to be flying high in Europe with the signings of Tevez and Mascherano, yet they only avoided relegation on the last day of the season.

Either way, it is going to be interesting. It always is!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: English Premier League: Sunderland

Ya. I dont see them finishing in the top 6 bar a miracle. And ya I don't want to get carried away here with myself either. Its one of the teams that was lifted up to the Premiership and I am trying to get familar with them. But at the same time I feel like they could make a strong showing.

Keane is young as a manager but he has a drive and won't settle for anything but a win. What worries me is that should Sunderland ever get to a slump for a while he will be to stubborn to try something new or heed other peoples advice.

The potential prospects of getting Craig Gordon and Leighton Baines really makes me think that, along with Russell Anderson and Greg Halford, that they will have a vastly improved defense from when they were in the champions league (which is good. they will need that now that they are in the premiership). With their added punch with the new striker Chopra (I don't expect him to perform miracles but he should easily contribute 10 goals this season) and their other strikers I think Sunderland will easily outperform the bottom half. I wouldn't be surprised if they did place 12-15 but I wouldn't be suprised if they went 11-9 place either.

Then again it is still in the air whether they will get Gordon or Baines but Keane has said he is looking to add 2-3 new players very shortly.

I guess if you had to rate Sunderlands goalies, defenders, midfielders, and strikers what ranks would you give them with the rest of the division?