Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Since you all read this at Absolute Poker

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.canterburypark.com/upload...%20Results.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]
loldonkaments.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 AM

lol-less-than-1-BB-aments
Old 10-31-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My life has been/will continue to be super busy this weekend. I'll participate more in this thread in the next few days.

[/ QUOTE ]
bump for an update...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's on my itinerary for tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
re-bump

BTW, AP is still asking me which charity to give to. They seem open to non-shady-lv charities if 2p2 suggest some. I basically said to go with big ones (like the Red Cross) if 2p2 won't suggest any.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:47 AM

I am hesitant to post this since I am just joined 2+2 forums recently and nobody here can vouch for me. But that being said I feel compelled to tell my story. (fyi this relates to the charity question). A few months after 9/11 I traveled to Afghanistan and worked with my cousin's organization in the northern province of Jawzjan. I stayed for 3 months and ended up helping Unicef distribute school supplies throughout the province. I became extremely dissillusioned with the waste that I saw with the UN and large non-profits. I kept finding these destroyed and dillapitated girls schools and no one was doing anything about it. I made a decision that I was going to build 2 girls schools on my own. I gave a speech at my university in Alaska (Alaska Pacific University) and raised money with the help of friends and returned to Afghanistan and built 2 schools. After that I just could not stop. I was hooked. I ended up traveling across the US giving speeches and raising money to build schools. I took no salary and my wife paid all the bills on her $28,000 per year salary. I built 7 girls schools in Afghanistan. Finally my wife put her foot down and said I had to start bringing in some money. I had just returned from Afghanistan and was tired and stressed out. I decided to ignore my stress and I play poker all day at the Party Poker 250k guarantee. I was pretty much a tournament fish at the time but played conservative and played premium hands. We needed $10,000 to move to Arizona and put a downpayment on a house. Once I got in the money I realized that IF I placed 5th we would have our downpayment. To make a long story short. I placed 2nd for $28,800. This allowed me to keep going with my non-profit. I paid off some credit card debt and kept on going.

Currently I have built schools in Indonesia, after the tsunami, Nepal, Sudan, Kenya, and Malawi. And I am building an HIV clinic in Ghana. My wife and I run the organization out of our house in Tucson and we have very low overhead. We can do ALOT with small amounts of money. The 9 classroom school we just build in the slums of Kisumu, Kenya for orphans cost only $60,000.

So, that being said. I could build a school in Africa for 2p2 and the AP scam. This whole debacle could provide education to orphans. I would also keep you all informed. My organization is not shady. Check out the website.
solaceinternational.org. I am the founder. Nathaniel York.

Hope this doesn't come across as shilling for my own org. It is an option I thought I would put out there.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 AM

Nat, do not let them off the hook so easily here.

I was given reliable information that an AP employee quit over the matter of the money not being donated. This "switching marketing firms" makes zero sense, both on the surface and based upon what I was told.

Demand to know if someone really did quit over this, and if you can talk to the AP employees in charge of the whole thing back during the '06 WSOP.

This whole thing smells of a company that made things "right" after-the-fact when a potential for bad publicity arose.

Get more details here. Also get the name of the winner of the car, along with the details of the dealership it came from, etc. I know nothing about THAT scandal, but it seems interesting as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 AM

I was going to try to research some things on Monday but the library I went to was closed, and I've been reasonably busy this afternoon/evening/night.

I'm tempted to just suggest another charity for us both to donate to. However, gimme one more day to see if I have the time to satisfy my own curiosities about some things.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 AM

Just tell AP to keep the money they were going to donate and use it to win big tournaments with superuser accounts, then take that profit to charity.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nat, do not let them off the hook so easily here.

I was given reliable information that an AP employee quit over the matter of the money not being donated. This "switching marketing firms" makes zero sense, both on the surface and based upon what I was told.

Demand to know if someone really did quit over this, and if you can talk to the AP employees in charge of the whole thing back during the '06 WSOP.

This whole thing smells of a company that made things "right" after-the-fact when a potential for bad publicity arose.

Get more details here. Also get the name of the winner of the car, along with the details of the dealership it came from, etc. I know nothing about THAT scandal, but it seems interesting as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I talked to the guy who ran both of the things and he explained how they each went down. I get the feeling that it was not in the forefront of their minds to make the donation. However, someone might be able to verify the following re: the popcorn.

First, the guy told me that because of Harrahs' rules, they had to buy the popcorn at around $2-$3 a pop from Harrah's and that no branding whatsoever was allowed on the bags. Second, he said the total cost of the popcorn was mid to high five figures. AP took a decent loss on the popcorn v donations even if they did plan on keeping the donations (I'm not convinced of that in the least). I'm sure someone will be able to contact Harrah's about that and confirm or refute.

I don't know what you mean by making things right after the fact. Do you think someone was going to publicize it in January or February of 2007 when AP was dealing with the issue? Or do you think they never actually sent the money? Or do you think the charity is a sham? Please be more specific about what you think went wrong here.

FWIW, I believe AP was doing this as a marketing opportunity (obviously) and the donation money raised was kind of an afterthought. No one there has really said anything to make me think otherwise. So they definitely had their best interest in mind through the whole thing. But I'm really not convinced it was some malicious attempt to keep the money if that's what you're thinking ... I'd like to see the reasoning behind that thought process.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM

Nat,

Children Incorporated sounds like a good candidate.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 AM

Sounds good to me. I was actually told that Schneids has the right to choose at least $7500-ish worth, although he might have given up that right by putting it off a bunch of times. But I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that organization.