Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 04:34 PM

Default $5NL 6-Max, J8s Big turn bluff against TAG

I have ran into villain at my tables plenty of times in the past. I don't use PT so alot of my play against him is mostly off feel/intuition. I chose the option of raising the turn because I didn't want to face an even more difficult decision on the river on such a drawy board. I figure if villain has hit, he will be 3-betting.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($9.40)
Button ($1.51)
SB ($15.19)
BB ($6.83)
UTG ($15.72)
MP ($7.18)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.17) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.25</font>, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.77) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.1</font>

Thoughts.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: $5NL 6-Max, J8s Big turn bluff against TAG

I really prefer a flop fold here, but you do realise you hit the straight on the turn? I see this more as a value raise than a bluff.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:43 PM

It's a bluff if villain has KJ. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2007, 04:46 PM

i'm a relatively tight player, and i'm still raising this limper pf with a J8s in the CO just about every time.

i strongly dislike the flop call. you're in an unraised pot here, so with a bet and a raise in front of you, its extremely unlikely that one of these guys doesn't have a really good hand, which means you could very well only be drawing to a gutshot that puts 4 on the board. that's not a very good investment, especially considering the fact that you might get blown out before the turn even comes. in a raised pot, heads up with position on the lead better, this would be a much better investment.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:07 PM

dont limp in
as played i would fold the flop, its obvious someone has better than bottom pair here, and you dont have correct odds to chase even if all your outs are clean.
as you got to the turn anyway, yes i would raise for value here. unlikely KJ would play like this in a limped pot so you likely have the best hand, or atleast splitting.