Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would You Give Up Poker For True Love?
yes 293 72.35%
no 112 27.65%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: **2007 AFC South Thread**

AFC South Week 5 in review:

Well sadly I was traveling so I didn't get to do a "week in preview" so I've nothing to copy, d'oh.

MIA 19 @ HOU 22
This game is probably not cause to celebrate in HOU. Yeah they won, but they did so while their offense sputtered and had to rely on 5 FGs (3 from 50+ yards). More over their defense gave up alot of yards and points and all this to one of the three worst (and winless) teams in football.
HOU needs to get healthy and sharpen its play if it wants to stay competitive in the toughest division in football.

Offense=C+
Defense=B-
Special Teams=A
Coaching=C+

JAX 17 @ KC 7
Really this was a game dominated by JAX. They controlled the pace and the LOS. So much so that JAX actually pitched a shutout for 59:59. That garbage time TD by KC not withstanding, this was a game for the JAX D to be proud of. True KC is in shambles right now, but recently they'd managed to pull their act together somewhat and Arrowhead is never an easy place to come in and win.
The JAX offense does seem to be lacking punch, however, and it remains to be seen if they'll be able to compete with more explosive offenses like IND. That said, the JAX rushing D seems to have tightend up considerably, which will certainly help them control the tempo against those offenses.

Offense=B
Defense=B+
Special Teams=B+
Coaching=B

ATL 13 @ TEN 20
Well the good news is that, unlike HOU last week, TEN managed to get the memo that ATL is an awful team and as long as they don't beat themselves, they'll do fine.
The bad news? They almost beat themselves. QB Vince Young's sup-par arm was on full display as he threw for only 157 yards and 3 INTs. The TEN running game never really got on track and the offense only managed to score through FGs and a short run.
Thankfully for TEN, their defense was able to step up and not only keep ATL to 13 pts. but also provide 7 of their own with FS Vince Fuller's INT return for a TD. Holding ATL to few points is no great feat, but this was a game TEN really needed to win.

Offense=D+
Defense=B+
Special Teams=C
Coaching=C+

TB 14 @ IND 33
The Colts came into this game serverly banged up. WR Marvin Harrison, RB Joseph Addai, LB Rob Morris, FS Bob Sanders, and 5 others were listed as out. It seemed unlikely that, missing so many pieces of both its offense and defense, that a Colts team often though of as shallow could win this game, much less blow a TB team that came in 3-1 out.
If it wasn't obvious before it should be now, the Colts really are that good. It's true the TB were largely paper tigers (i.e. they weren't as good as their record) but a performance as dominant as the one IND put on can't be ignored. Playing 2nd and 3rd stringers the Colts offense looked as unstoppable as ever and the defense held TB to 17 total rushing yards.
I can't remember the Colts being this banged up in the Manning era, but the good news is they're heading right into a bye and all injuries (save for OLB Rob Morris) are expected to heal with the week off.

Offense=A+
Defense=A-
Special Teams=B
Coaching=B+

Cody
Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Cody,

Yet again good analysis. Though I can't comment to much on any of the games as I was unable to watch any(I refused to watch the Colts spank the Bucs, heh), but I will say this about JAX, Meester is coming back!!! There are reports that he could be available this week and that would be enormous. Also, Mo Williams started last week for an injured Khalif Barnes who should return for next week as well.

The Jags are getting healthy and Garrard [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s Northcutt. This offense is just starting to get together and if the line meshes it could get to scary good like vs Colts last season. I'm getting giddy watching this team the past 3 weeks and can't wait for Sunday. A "teal out" is in effect. The only downer might be the fact that the game is 50-50 to be blacked out right now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Maybe I will try to go to the game.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I will try to go to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just discussed this with a few of my housemates and we just don't think we can find time for a 15 hour trip not to mention afford the trip down. I'm really struggling to find a chance to get down there, but I'm gonna make every effort I can this year.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Eh...very likely the game is going to be blacked out in JAX. We'll know more tomorrow but it is going to take a miracle to get things to the way we want it. The Jags potentially have 3 more blackout games after this(buffalo, carolina, oakland). Hopefully the team just continues to win and this becomes a non-issue.

Just when you get excited about a team things start getting bleak. Each time this happens I feel like I hear someone in LA get very happy.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh...very likely the game is going to be blacked out in JAX. We'll know more tomorrow but it is going to take a miracle to get things to the way we want it. The Jags potentially have 3 more blackout games after this(buffalo, carolina, oakland). Hopefully the team just continues to win and this becomes a non-issue.

Just when you get excited about a team things start getting bleak. Each time this happens I feel like I hear someone in LA get very happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood fully the situation down there. Is the JAX owner actively looking to move the team?

Cody
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood fully the situation down there. Is the JAX owner actively looking to move the team?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Weaver has actually been pretty adament about keeping the team in Jacksonville. But, lets be realistic. This will be the 2nd game to be blacked out. It is the 47th largest market in the United States, they don't have a sponsor for the stadium when they actively looked for one, and the Jaguars are reported to be the least popular team in the country. Not to mention there is a team in ATL, Miami, and Tampa Bay. Now, I don't think those markets are really hurting Jax but they def don't help the situation.

Its a buisness and I just can't see him sticking it out for much longer if the situation doesn't improve. It is true that their are more season ticket holders today than there were 10 years ago and now the stadium fits the size of the market with them covering seats but it just isn't going well. The Jaguars need to get to the playoffs this year. They just have to. Things aren't looking good.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 PM

Hmmm, how close are they coming to selling out, because I'd think he's just suck it up and buy up some of the remaining tickets (within a reasonable number LDO).

In any event, that sucks, always sad to see fans lose a team (unless they're Baltimore fans [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Cody
Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 PM

4 of us are going to the game, unfortunately I didn't buy tickets from the Jags themselves, but any seat filled will help. Go Jags!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 AM

TFG,

Don't forget to wear Teal to the game, it is a Teal-Out. Enjoy, Garrard is going to go off this week. Oh and Freddy T for 100+, yeah I said it.