Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Which top pair do you like better?

Aaron, i was going to send you a pm about our conversation and these hands, but it appears your inbox is full. I'll just save it somewhere and try again later.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:26 PM

hand 2 has more equity simply because we are less likely to be dominated by limpers and our opponents are less likely to be drawing live. If I bet and get raised I think hand 1 is more likely to be good though.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:37 PM

I don't really think we are more or less likely to be dominated with either hand. If guys are limping QJ, they will be just as likely to limp KJ, I think.

I'd probably pick #2. If you look at these in terms of how many outs our opponents have against us, I would say we have pleanty more to worry about with hand 1 than hand 2.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron, i was going to send you a pm about our conversation and these hands, but it appears your inbox is full. I'll just save it somewhere and try again later.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM box has been purged.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:48 PM

interesting question, and i was surprised by the responses...

i like hand 1 because the board is so disconnected...there seem to be no straights or flush draws likely, so top pair good kicker is stronger, even though there are two overcards possible...i would expect to win this pot on the flop...people often play Axo and Kxs, but not often Qx suited or not...the KJ hand seems more likely to get contested
Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i like hand 1 because the board is so disconnected...there seem to be no straights or flush draws likely,

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a flush draw in hand 1, but none in hand 2.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I bet and get raised I think hand 1 is more likely to be good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM

i also thought about comparing the hands for possible sets, but i think it;s a minor point. sets are rare in general - so, its presence being twice as likely in hand 1 doesn't weaken it that much; and if one is out, we're going to find out soon enough.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Very suprised at the answers. Im not a big math guy so maybe thats why I like hand 1 better. Just seems way easier to know where your at and what type of cards can hurt you. In hand 2 we dont like an A or Q and even though it appears to help our hands I dont like seeing a J, 10 or 9 in hand 2 either cause it makes a very scary connected board that hits alot of limped hands. Hand 1 seems like all you have to look out for after making a probe bet on the flop is a heart and an A or K. Another thing about hand 2 is if we pick up our draw or two pair were more likely to lose money if were behind and get raised on the turn! Holla
Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM

I'd say that hand two is stronger than hand one. The reason is that you are less likely to have an overcard come, giving someone else a higher pair. Secondly, you have no flush-draws playing against you in hand two, whereas hand one has two hearts on board. Secondly, you have a BDSD in and two, and in and one you do not. Finally, a note about being out against two pair in hand two (or a SD).. you may be up against KQo or JTs. These obviously put you at a disadvantage, but I think the greater disadvantages lie within hand one.

Nick