Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Bluff gone wrong

Right, but getting 9 to 1 on a 10.5 to 1 draw with implied odds, seems like a call would be ok too.

I agree that a king would not be worth 3 outs, but would it be worth any? If it's worth even 1, you've got even odds which makes it a good call.

BTW, I'm not downing your play. It's so close as to not matter. I'm only bringing this up because my default in that situation would be to call the turn, and I want to make sure that it's not a bad call.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM

It just felt like such spew on the turn when I saw that 3-bet, but thinking about it in hindsight you are probably right. While the king definitely is not worth 3 outs, it has to be worth 1 enough in a blind battle to make this a call.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM

I don't think you should give yourself a full out for that King.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Well even if the king is only 0.5 outs, isnt a call still close enough assuming I will get at least one more bb out on a river?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well even if the king is only 0.5 outs, isnt a call still close enough assuming I will get at least one more bb out on a river?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't overlook that if three unseen cards count as a fraction of an out, they contribute negatively to your implied odds.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Now I am confused, could you explain how they contribute negatively to my implied odds?
Old 04-18-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I am confused, could you explain how they contribute negatively to my implied odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if 2/3 of the time you hit a king it is not good then 2/3 of the time you hit a king it will cost you bet(s) since you will put money in the pot when improved but still behind.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 PM

Ive played a lot of $1/2 lately. I think you have to assume people will never fold the bb to your sb raise preflop, until you know differently.

K9o may be a raise anyway, but its the very bottom end if it is.

I wouldn't raise. We are out of position. Why make the pot bigger, thus making his inevitable postflop mistakes less wrong? I prefer to limp in here; planning on betting out at almost EVERY flop. In my experience the bb will actually fold more often to these bets than he would to your continuation bet after a preflop raise. No one likes to feel like they are being stolen from by the sb. The bb has position and so when we make the pot bigger, the bb is more likely to fight for it.

And before you think I'm a nit, i raise preflop over 21%. I love to steal from co and button. But i play these sb v. bb situations passively from the sb, and I do very well from the sb.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 PM

I have two questions then. One, isn't K9 a much stronger hand than a random BB hand? If that is agreed upon, I thought the point was to take the edges I have, thus making a raise preflop correct. The second is, if you think K9 is the bottom of the raising range, and actually should be limped instead most often, then what is the weakest hand you would raise in a blind battle?