Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Golfers in NYC

I'm in my second year of law school at NYU and am missing golf now... I'm originally from NC and plan on going back there after graduation, but for now, what do you all you New Yorkers do to keep your games sharp? I guess I'm just thinking of types of drills, places to practice (outside of Chelsea Piers) and how a guy gets a round in nearby without paying out of the ass (if possible). Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Golfers in NYC

Without a car it can be tough to golf in NYC. If you have a car some of the municipal courses (Pelham, split rock, etc) are decent and incredibly cheap. You can play in Jersey at a decent place for $55-$75 if you avoid weekends. Emerson is close and ok, Bowling Green is farther out but nicer. Bowling Green also has free turnarounds if they arent busy which is nice. I dont have much experience with Long Island courses but I've heard they tend to be pricier.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM

I don't have a car but my roommate just started with a service called ZipCar that is pretty neat and makes golfing more affordable if we can get a foursome. Good tips though.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:44 PM

I usu hit expensive balls 1x week at Chelsea piers and try to play 1-2 times a week. I play very often at the Crystal Springs courses which aren't cheap but pretty nice IMO. Lido on long island is a great course at a great value ($60-ish on weekends), but if you don't get out early holy hell its a long day.

I would be *very* interested in playing if you try to get a group. I work though, so usu talking Fri, Sat, Sunday.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM

I'd play whenever. I live in the Bronx and usually play at Van Courtlandt cause its so close. Unfortunately its not the best course, but it is relatively cheap to walk.

FWIW I can play any day since I work at night.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM

We should definitely get a listserv going... my clubs are still down in the Carolinas right now because I'm playing down there in a week, but once I get them set up I would love to play. The weekends would usually work better for me... the way my class schedule is set up I doubt I could free a whole day for golf (except Thursdays which I'm done at like 1).
Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure what listserv is but as I said I am able to play on any day. If this is going to happen it needs to be sooner than later I would imagine as weather is getting cold fast.

Skins game for rollz.