Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Ball gets thrown - what to do?

So we're on the 18th tee the other day...about a 300 yard dogleg right par four.

The left side of the oval shaped green is barely visible, with trees shielding the rest of the green. The pin is not visible (and as we find out when we get to the green, is on the far right hand side).

A group of old ladies is in front of us, and as we're waiting to tee off, three of them are standing on left side where we can see them, and the other is chipping on. She chips on, all four presumably walk towards the hole.

So, I'm up first - and I hit my drive well. It's a low liner, slicing right up the heart of the dog leg, it lands about 20 yards in front of the green, rolls up on the green, and out of our site. I assume about middle of the green-ish.

After two of my playing partners tee off, we all of a sudden see a ball come flying off the green back towards the fareway. I think "did they just throw my ball off the green?" Yup. Got up there and it's my ball, 10 yards in front of the green...and the ladies are nowhere in site.

a) what's my play in terms of golf rules?

b) were they bitches, or was it my bad? I was always under the assumption that if it's a par 4, and the group in front is on the green, it's fair to tee off. And it was in absolutely no danger of hitting anybody, thus us not yelling FORE.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Ball gets thrown - what to do?

Time to crack some skulls IMO.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Was there Ben-Gay on the ball?

Unless it was a career shot you hit, you're at fault.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 PM

I would just drop my ball where I think it would have been before the throw. Mildly bitchy on their part, but you're definately at fault here. If you're capable of hitting the green there's no way you should be teeing off until your reasonablly sure they're clear.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 PM

oh no, they were in danger of getting hit by a rolling golf ball!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 PM

It is TOTALLY bad form for you to have hit if you think that even 10% of the time you can hit it far enough to be 20yds short or closer. You needed to wait. If it's a career shot (my example is hitting a 3-iron into a 2-club wind on a 270 par 4, and it bounced onto the first 1/3 of the green to a middle pin...I was planning on being 40-50yds short of the green, and ended up ON the damn thing), then you should apologize (hard since it's the 18th).

Had you guys hit into them yet? If you can hit a "low liner" that lands 20yds short of the green, there is absolutely NO WAY you should have been hitting until they're well off the green...100% your fault. If you hadn't come close to hitting them the whole round, then it's kinda bitchy for them to throw the ball, but if you had, then although they aren't technically justified in doing anything, you should totally understand them.

For the rules: you have to do your best estimate to put the ball back where it was. It's the same as if a dog or bird picked up the ball...no penalty.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh no, they were in danger of getting hit by a rolling golf ball!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL yeah, I don't get why people wig out about this stuff. It's like some HUGE affront to them. It would be one thing if the ball landed on the green.

Remember the only double-eagle on a par-4 recorded in PGA history? It was a few years ago in Phoenix on the 17th. Andrew Magee was involved (can't remember which role he was in) but anyway a pro was on the green and the ball went OFF THAT GUY'S PUTTER and into the hole. Haha.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 AM

If there's a chance you can make it. It's your bad. Still bitchy of them to throw your ball though.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 AM

A courtesy fore! was in order here. It's what golfers do. Even if it's rolling up you want to know it's coming.

A friend of mine broke a womens forearm with a shot that hooked to the next fairway over and ONE-HOPPED.

Don't even the pros seem a little peeved when this happens to them?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
b) were they bitches, or was it my bad? I was always under the assumption that if it's a par 4, and the group in front is on the green, it's fair to tee off. And it was in absolutely no danger of hitting anybody, thus us not yelling FORE.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is any chance you can hit the ball near the green approx 25-30 yards, then wait until the green is clear. It has nothing to do with it being a par four or not. And please yell FORE the moment you suspect the ball ending up near the green/the players in front of you. As you can't really see the players in front of you, there is the more reason not to hit until you are sure the green is clear. Why not one of you walk a little forward on the fairway so that you can see the green and then know for sure when to hit?

On the rules your ball has been moved when at rest by an outside agency, no penalty for you, the ball has to be replaced where you and your playing partners estimate it ended up before being thrown.