Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 AM

Default what do you do to turn a potential fold into a call?

Not sure if it's the right forum, but I'm interested in B&M only. When you're in a pot heads up and you're sure you have the best hand, however you might be losing a customer, what do you do to get him to call? I'm a quiet player and I rarely say a word when I'm in a hand so if I start talking they may (rightfully) interpret that as strength.

Today I was in a $2-5NL hand w/ 5,5 UTG. It was raised to $20 and 4 of us took the flop. Flop was Ks,5h,2s. I lead out for $35 and he made it $90. It was folded to me and I made it $190. The turn was a blank and I lead out for $230. He thought for a LONG time-probably 3-4 minutes. He looked over and said, "You got a set?" Then he said, "I bet we have the same hand." Naturally I now want a call since I put him on A,K, however since I don't talk much I don't want to open my mouth now.

He finally took so long that I called time on him (if that doesn't say strength I want you to call, what does?). It worked and he decided to call before the clock started. I went all in blind for $300 and he decided to call the river as well.

That got me thinking how can you induce a player to call when he is considering folding and you're sure you want the call? I've gulped before and that has worked really well, but other than that I'm not sure what I can do. Like I said I rarely, if ever talk during a hand. Sometimes I shift in my seat to look uncomfortable, but that has mixed results.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: what do you do to turn a potential fold into a call?

Watch their body language very closely, the absolute second they start to move to fold...sigh and say "NIIICE hand"...