Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Am I splitting/ahead enough to call, 10/180

[ QUOTE ]
I want to know if he has AK/AQ or even AJ or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]A c-bet from him tells you none of this. If you bet at least you might not get taken off the best hand.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably database the guy but I don't think you can call here. He's got to be limping AJ-AQ UTG and then also credit you for the ability to fold an ace on a paired flush board. Without a read, I think I fold.

And I also don't like pre-flop. I know you're not interested in that but the problem with A10o as a drawing hands is that the flops that give us draws give our opponents hands they are not going to lay down. I don't think it's a big deal in this case, except that I wouldn't want to limping behind an UTG limper on whom I had no reads with this hand and these stacks. What's the best case scenario?

Edit: the online poker player spaz factor probably does this make this closer than this appears at first though. If he instapushed I'd be more inclined to call. Whatever his hand, if it's short of the nuts he has to give at least some consideration to what you might be holding and how to get value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian did instapush.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want to know if he has AK/AQ or even AJ or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]A c-bet from him tells you none of this. If you bet at least you might not get taken off the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet when?

If you mean the flop, why bet for information (I'm always folding to a raise) when I can just check to get the same info. Unless you're saying AK/AQ checks behind, which I think never happens, especially with two clubs out there.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you're saying AK/AQ checks behind, which I think never happens, especially with two clubs out there.

[/ QUOTE ]No, but a lot of other hands that you're ahead of DO bet, so you can't say "he bet this flop, I must be beat, I fold". So checking doesn't tell you if he has a better hand or not. Heck, the guy checked behind and you still aren't certain where you are in the hand. Checking this flop is an invitation to be bet off your hand by something worse. But all of this is why you don't play ATo out of position against a raiser.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Raise or fold preflop, limping here is ugly.
Bet the flop.
As played fold the river.