Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was this hand played Bravely, Smartly, or Stupidly
Played Bravely 4 18.18%
Played Smartly 2 9.09%
Dumb Donk Move 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2006, 08:43 PM

Default What Does a Pause Before Betting Mean-Strong or Weak?

Aside from the possibility of a pause before someone makes a bet in online poker meaning the player took a drink of water or whatever, does it generally mean they are strong or weak? Assume the player doesn't seem to be multitabling and has been making his betting decisions pretty consistantly in terms of time.

Assume you're not going to base your whole decision on this pause, but in a very close decision which way would it tip you?

We all realize a pause could be totally unrelated to the betting action. The question is...if the pause is related to the betting action, what does it mean?

Edit in respose to the first reply below...I am referring to postflop.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Default Re: What Does a Pause Before Betting Mean-Strong or Weak?

Preflop its weak, postflop its strong.
Wrap your mind around that one
Old 12-20-2006, 09:07 PM

I think it can mean both,or be irrelevant.It depends.I think the general opinion is it means weak,but players will hollywood a pause to try to appear weak very ofton.Much the same as in live games really.It works both ways too,a player will ofton raise fast when weak to appear strong.Its read is very much situation and opponent dependant i would think.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 PM

It means they have a crappy internet connection, probably dial-up.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it can mean both,or be irrelevant.It depends.I think the general opinion is it means weak,but players will hollywood a pause to try to appear weak very ofton.Much the same as in live games really.It works both ways too,a player will ofton raise fast when weak to appear strong.Its read is very much situation and opponent dependant i would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were an option in survet, iw ould vote for it =)
Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM

I have played lots of heads up and it depends of the player and the street. One needs to get the other players' pattern and then keep looking if it remains too and then use it not too radically so not to be wrong.

Preflop an opponent taking a moment will tell that there's something to think about.

A weak player taking a small moment on the flop could mean he is waiting to turn to raise (it will be a fast check followed by an instant check-raise). The same player taking a small moment on the turn when he just bet the flop could mean he thinks if his hand is strong enough to bet, meaning he has only enough. The same player stopping at river for a longer time when first to act could mean he is so weak he can't call, while if he is last to act he is likely strong, very strong (long pause) (still it's tough to fold because of the size of the pot). A weaker player taking a bit longer (but abnormally long already) pause than the above on the turn can mean he has nothing. A weaker player being strong on the turn may mean an instant bet, while a rocky person (he is betting, isn't he?) or someone who plays 'fast' (as he won't change his ways) can be strong too on the turn when betting fast. Weak and good is though relative to a limit too. Some players fake timing tells but it's not yet that popular, but it's mostly about the natural trying to cheat the other with timing tells, not reversing that.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 PM

When I go to light up a cig or grab my soda and take a drink it often causes a pause if it's my turn to act. Oh and sometimes I miss the slider or type in the wrong number (usually a misplaced or missing decimal).

Glad to see people mistake these delays for me having a strong hand.

Edit - Are you're talking about lol minibet hold em?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Honestly, I have said outloud while someone sweats me "I hate this [censored], this [censored] guy is going to tank before betting here but he just rivered me I know it and there's no WAY i can fold here he has to be a schmuck 1 in 20 times but like 19/20 this long pause is 'watch this petey i just hit my 2 outer and he's gonna pay it off mwahahhaha, let me pause to make it seem like im considering a check behind here even though this is [censored] limit holdem and my dumb ass couldn't fold ace hi if it was a t-shirt" All this while clicking over the area where call will come up.

If one of you guys does it I assume you just got 3-bet at another table
Old 12-21-2006, 03:18 PM

The question is almost meaningless because you've stripped out other causes such as multitabling, drinking water, other distractions, etc. Which for the most part -- we CAN'T rule out without knowledge not accessible to us.

But, all those things being disregarded, AND, no other tells to the contrary -- you have to stick with the WEAK=STRONG and STRONG=WEAK Caro statements.

Of course, when I have a strong hand and am busy, I'll often click the RAISE ANY button or BET FIRST IN TURN type of buttons, showing obvious strength. Maybe I get 'overthinkers' that call my TPTK AK down with A-rag because they assume my insta-bet is weakness?

Who knows -- but for the most part, I don't think my table bets show a tell because I delay or do insta-betting based on other factors. Even if I'm not multitabling -- but I'm responding to an email, etc.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop its weak, postflop its strong.
Wrap your mind around that one

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had known this a year ago.

On the bubble in some tournament... $20 / 180p, 19 left, 18 get paid. I'm in 9th or so, villian has me covered.

One mp limper. I pick up 99 in the CO and raise to 4BB's. Limper calls.
Flop comes A-8-4, rainbow.
Checked to me. I bet 3/4 the pot. Villian takes about 20 seconds to call. "Weak ace", I think.
Turn is a 4. I decide to take another stab at the pot. Probaby bet around 1/2 of the pot. "A nice amount to show that I'm not afraid of getting called by a weak ace," I thought. This time he goes into the time bank and calls after about 40 seconds. "Oh well, I'm done with this. Half my stack is gone but he's obviously not going anywhere, unless...."
River: 9. "Money!!", I think. "This will teach him for playing his weak ace, or slow playing a good ace." Villian checks. I push (because I wan't him to fold. wink, wink.). He instacalls and I know I'm screwed. Yes, he had AA.