Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: WPO - Early Question

Johnny,

I hope your response here means that you and your staff will be running the WPO despite your new position at the Beau Rivage? I still contend that you guys run one of the best shows around and look forward to your events. Even if I wasn't stalking the redhead, I would still like your events, just maybe wouldn't play so many STS's. See you in January.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM

I and my staff will me directing the WPO in January. I look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks for the vote of confidence. As long as you guys are happy, I am happy.

JG
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rooms at the goldstrike/horseshoe will sell out, but Sam Town, Hollywood,Sheraton etc... won't and if they do Memphis is only 30 minutes away. As long as you have a car you're Ok. Attendance has been declining the last couple of years, but its a great event !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What was attedance last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for Clarification the events are great, and well run (WSOP take note...) its just that there are soooooo many more events in January the last couple of years that the base of players is a little thin...

On a side note, Mr Groom I know the 7 card events are usually low attendance events, but I keep hoping for a Razz tournament somewhere besides the WSOP. Any chance of slipping one in ?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM

We have a stud and a stud 8 event on the schedule. Razz would be a tough sell, as It's very difficult to rationalize a razz event, as the turnout would most certainly be very low. We still try to provide at leat one game of every major type, but Horse and razz just dont draw a crowd. With the competeiveness in our market in january, if we hav a razz or horse, the competition just does a NL and we get no players I may be able to sell a midafternoon low buy in event, but thats the extent of it. The complete schedule is up on cardplayer. here's a link....

http://www.cardplayer.com/tournaments/event_list/894
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reserve rooms as early as possible. We have a bigger room block this year, and our schedule is slightly different than last year's. The fields should be large for this event. 1-888-245-7529, ext 1135 for rooms. Leave a voicemail if don't get someone, and they will call you back and book for you....

JG

[/ QUOTE ]

Booked mine last weekend in Tunica. Rita and Beth are the ladies to talk with about the rooms and rates at the GS poker office.

I was told the "tourney rate" was going to be $55/night. Thats actually a little better than last year's 45 (70 on weekends) but gosh -- I still remember the $20/night room rate.

WPO tourney schedule of events and buy ins was on a printed sheet handed out in the GS card room.

GS tourneys (in the cardroom) are still being run daily, but the TD's are less interesting to listen to now. Johnny -- you should write down some of your jokes for them to read outloud.

Hope you have the hotel staff working on some smoke exhaust system for the hallway outside the tourney room this time.

See you in January.