Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Blind play

Hello, im quite new on these boars (as a poster), and I have a lot of questions I seek answer to.

For the time being im focussing on Full Ring play, NL, micro stakes.
I am often uncertain what the right play is when I'm sitting in the SB/BB with reasonable hand. I think I will understand easiest by some examples.

For example, ~ 5-6-7 people limp, u are in SB with hands like QJ, KJ, KQ, AQ, etc.
Should I raise here? The problem is there is a reasonable chance i get called and I dont like playing those hands OOP.

Or another example, a raise and a call MP, LP. How do I handle those hands then?
Any advice on playing the blinds is much appreciated!
Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Blind play

With a hand like AQ/KQ I'd put in a reasonable raise if everyone is simply limping in to get some of the weaker hands out of the pot and to go from there, with QJ/KJ I might fill the blind and go from there but you're right, it's not going to be fun playing some of those hands OOP. Depending on the table I might raise any of those hands actually if I know some of the EP limpers are donks that will try and get into a pot with any hand but will fold to what they percieve as a stronger hand in LP. As is true with alot of poker questions; it just depends on the situation, you're table image, and the other players at the table.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:00 PM

in your example, AQ is clearly the strongest hand, you dont want to play it against multiple opponents. the hand certainly needs to be raised

KQ/KJ while in this specific situation you can raise with it, normally(especially in fillring), they are NOT very strong hands. 2 pictures doesnt make a good hand. if you face raises with those ahnds, often you will be dominated.

QJ too isnt that hot. if a Q high board flops, you can test the waters, but if someone shows real interest in the hand, you are often no good. a flop like 9-10-x is what you are looking for

while you can always raise with AQ, the others depend a bit on your tableimage as well. if you plan to force all the limpers out, it is best if you have a solid somewhat tight image. then this raise is likely to give you the chips.

if you played loose so far on that table, expect 2 or more callers
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM

I prefer pushing pre-flop here to what you did.

As the cards were dealt, you're called, and lose the race.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:59 PM

AQ - If it's suited, I like a raise from the blinds. If not, checking/limping is probably better.

KQ and lower - check/limp. You're OOP with a marginal hand.

Limit your raises to big PPs (JJ+) and you'll be on the road to winning. The big thing to remember at micro is that you will usually get multiple callers for any reasonable raise. In fact, it's sometimes difficult to get it to heads up PF. Just play tight (VERY tight is fine from EP) and wait for them to pay you off. As you get more experience you'll learn to vary your play more.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 PM

A somewhat related question:

When you are holding a trash hand in the SB, what odds do you need to justify completing the blind? In the BB, what odds do you need to call a smallish raise that attracted multiple cold calls? I often find myself wondering what to do in these situations in online limpfests/call-athons.

To put a finer point on it-->

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I have an M of 20 in an online tournament with no reads (9 handed). I'm looking at 94o with blinds at $50/$100. 5 limpers bring the pot to $650, so I'm getting $650:$50 or 13:1. Is that enough to justify playing this garbage OOP against 7 opponents?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Same situation, but UTG raises to $250, gets 4 callers and SB completes. I'm looking at $1600:$150 or about 10.5:1. Am I paying the cost of an orbit in hopes of hitting the stealth jackpot flop?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] What are some guidelines I can start working with?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM

I just started playing myself but have been told to play tightly out of the blinds.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 AM

I would be calling with marginal hands KQ,KJ,QJ. This is because you are out of position and likely to get some callers. You will win a nice multiway pot if you hit it hard as others will have a piece of it.
AQ+ is a raising hand as mentioned above. With that many callers already preflop you should put in a hefty raise. You can be happy just winning the blinds here. Would be helpful if you know if any of your opponents call with AK/AA/KK preflop. They are bad if they do but at that level you will find this sometimes.

Also as mentioned above play tight out of the blinds. Play in position, let the money come to you, dont chase it at these levels.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When you are holding a trash hand in the SB, what odds do you need to justify completing the blind? In the BB, what odds do you need to call a smallish raise that attracted multiple cold calls? I often find myself wondering what to do in these situations in online limpfests/call-athons.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I have an M of 20 in an online tournament with no reads (9 handed). I'm looking at 94o with blinds at $50/$100. 5 limpers bring the pot to $650, so I'm getting $650:$50 or 13:1. Is that enough to justify playing this garbage OOP against 7 opponents?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Same situation, but UTG raises to $250, gets 4 callers and SB completes. I'm looking at $1600:$150 or about 10.5:1. Am I paying the cost of an orbit in hopes of hitting the stealth jackpot flop?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] What are some guidelines I can start working with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not play either of these hands OOP. There is really nothing here you can hit aside from flopping a 2 pair, which still often won't be best. The only real odds here you have are reversed implied. 94o is going to be -EV, especially OOP.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may seem like you are getting odds to call with just about anything in a muti-limped pot from the SB, but be careful. Hands like 94o, or even K4o, are going to bleed money. You have to hit something like that so hard it makes it to where it's impossible to get the odds to complete. Throw that stuff away.

There is a difference, however, in hands like 65o. With 94o, you're looking for - at a MINIMUM - two pair. And frankly, I'm not all that thrilled with two pair or trips. You have a big hand, but one that's frequently going to wind up second best (better two pair or a better kicker). 65o, on the other hand, adds in the possible straight draws. Those extra possibilities mean you're OK completing in a multi-limped pot. Personally, I still don't like playing 65o with less than 4 limpers. With 98o+/65s+ I'll go with 3 limpers. On one-gappers (75-T8), I play them like the bottom card is the higher of connectors (e.g. 75o plays like 54o and requires at least 4-5 limpers.)

The biggest thing to remember is that being out of position, you need to hit the flop HARD to keep going. Even top pair is likely to be a loser.

As for calling an UTG raise from the BB w/ 94o... umm... no. Just no. An UTG raise usually means a big hand. What are you hoping to flop here? 994? And your odds of hitting that flop (or 999, 449 or 444)? Far too low to make playing it worthwhile. Frankly, I throw away everything that's not big or has a reasonable chance of becoming big (suited connectors). And the "potentials" get dumped if no one else called.