Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Appropriate gift for a Baptism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ace - I'd like to skip the religious angle with the gift. Coming from me it wouldn't be sincere.

Guids - I had considered jewelry but wasn't sure with the child being a boy. My nephew received a necklace with a cross pendant for his baptism. He's 8 years old now and never wears it because as a boy he would destroy it when playing with his friends. His parents have it locked away somewhere. More of a keepsake than practical I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to skip the religious angle because it would seem insincere you should defer the offer to be godfather.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm honored to have been asked to be the godfather. Simply because I'm not the most religious individual does not mean that I don't respect the religious choices of the family. I understand the significance of the role and I'm quite proud of the fact I was considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get what you are saying, but if the parents are religious at all, unless you are willing to do what the church asks, its hard to fufill your "role". The only role the godparents have as far as baptism goes is to make sure the children follow the path of the church.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only role the godparents have as far as baptism goes is to make sure the children follow the path of the church.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. However this is somewhat amusing - but I guess you would have to know the father. If I cant keep him on the right path how on earth am I going to save this child? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I get what you are saying, but if the parents are religious at all, unless you are willing to do what the church asks, its hard to fufill your "role". The only role the godparents have as far as baptism goes is to make sure the children follow the path of the church.

[/ QUOTE ]

while I do think he shouldnt avoid all the religious aspects of the event. The following the path of the church bit, come on. You make it sound like if he doesnt tell the kid rubbing one out is bad he shouldnt be the GF.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only role the godparents have as far as baptism goes is to make sure the children follow the path of the church.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. However this is somewhat amusing - but I guess you would have to know the father. If I cant keep him on the right path how on earth am I going to save this child? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh...ya. I didnt really know if what appropos for me to post that stuff, but personally, I actually struggled a little bit with it after I accepted the the responsiblity as it is a really religious and sacred role as far as the catholic church is concerned. I just thought it was a cool honor, until I had to take a class on it etc, then I started getting a little nercous that maybe I wasnt the right type of person to fufill it.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 PM

"i do renounce him"
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while I do think he shouldnt avoid all the religious aspects of the event. The following the path of the church bit, come on. You make it sound like if he doesnt tell the kid rubbing one out is bad he shouldnt be the GF.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no other aspect to it but the religious aspect. A godfather is a religious title. If you avoid ANY of the religious aspect, you are not fufilling your role.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Another appropriate gift is the simultaneous elimination of the father's enemies.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another appropriate gift is the simultaneous elimination of the father's enemies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for this but it should be.

"Another appropriate gift is wait to become Godfather and then wack the real father for setting up your older brother"
Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 PM

I understand what you're saying about not being religious, but this IS a religious event. I wouldn't get him a crucifix for the wall, but perhaps a picture frame with a biblical quote on it? A religious themed baby album for the baptism photos? There's a ton of things out there in Christian stores (Even Hallmark for that matter) that have some great gifts with simple religious themes/messages that aren't as overpowering as a crucifix (which I could never get, always reminds me of The Exorcist).

However, if you're dead set against that then I would strongly recommend the savings bonds or Disney stock, but as a mother I expected to receive, and did, religious based gifts at my daughters baptism....that's the idea of the ceremony.

T
Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 PM

OHHH OHH OH! Wait a minute!!

Isn't it the godfather and godmothers responsibility to buy the baptism outfit??

I forgot all about that, it usually is customary in Catholic baptisms for the godparents to do this.

T