Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Default NL50: TP2K, interesting one pair hand in unraised pot.

I really think this was an interesting spot and I'd really like some opinions on it. I'll describe my thinking process a little later in case anyone is interested, but I'd really like to hear YOUR thinking in such a spot. So, fire away, flame me for my play if you want and tell me how you would play such a hand.
Villain is 38/14/0.7 over only 135 hands. He started out as a small stack and winded up having close to a full stack when this hand came up. He likes to play tricky, maybe a little FPS there. Anyway, I wouldn't call him a good player.
I'm running at this table at (for me) incredible tight 10/8.
I'm already curious to hear your comments, I know you're going to hate my PF play but I have my reasons... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
(I put my turn action in white below BTW.)

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $52.05
BTN: $12.80
SB: $65.95
BB: $45.15
UTG: $65.05
UTG+1: $40.95
MP: $34.50

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, BB checks

Flop: ($3.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $3.50</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $3.50, 4 folds

Turn: ($10.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets $10.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero <font color="white">raises to $42 <font color="white">
Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: NL50: TP2K, interesting one pair hand in unraised pot.

fwiw I don't think pf is especially terrible but I raise it.

I also raise the flop.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 AM

I would raise flop too. One reason is that I am not usually comfortable letting the hand develop passive (waiting game) with only top pair, especially when I don't have the best kicker.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Raise preflop. Sorry but wow, what a terrible turn raise lol.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Raise PF, but okay.

As played, raising the flop sucks balls with four people left to act. I see no reason to raise the turn unless you think he calls with like KJ. He's potted it twice, once into six players...does he really do this with a worse hand than TPQK?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 AM

I raise pre flop here most of the time. Reason being is the limp creates tricky spots in multiway pots. playing 40 percent of his hands he could pretty much have anything. Plus the pre flop raise is punishing him for playing that many hands. The limp isn't terrible though and could be just as good as a raise. But you have to play it differently and be ready to let it go a lot easier. As played, I probably throw in a reraise on the flop of about 9. Yeah, there are 4 left to act, but you're gonna find out quickly whether you're beat or not.

Another side note is the way this is played you are allowing him to take control of the pot. By raising preflop/flop you put yourself in a position where you have control. You want to put yourself in positions where the decisions are easy for you and hard on your opponents.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 AM

another thought on this hand with the pre flop limp I believe you're creating a spr that you want to flop a bigger hand than just top pair 2nd best kicker. This hand would have played out much more smoother imo with the pre flop raise, which could have been big given all the limping which would have created a much better spr for the situation. I really need to reread that book as the concept is still pretty new to me.

Oh and I didn't look at the action in white. After thinking the hand through for sometime I think i'm folding. However, I can see myself in the same position reraising and going broke just as well.