Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Gabe Kaplan - Hot or Not?

Without disrespect to Gabe, it is my opinion that he is a horrible, horrible poker commentator. His understanding of the game is on a juvenile level and many of the things he says are plain wrong. Every time I see Gabe on another poker show I cringe. With every show he does, his resume builds. I believe the major cause of networks signing him is that he has media experience and that network producers can't differentiate between a knowledgeable poker player and a trivial poker player because of their lack of poker experience. Gabe has somehow cemented in the minds of America that he is a talented poker player. I hope this poll helps change that.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Gabe Kaplan - Hot or Not?

I prefer Gabe to any Pro poker player I can think of. Even Vince Van Patton is good compared to getting a pro up there past posting all the hands. Sheesh, it is entertainment, not real poker the networks are paying for.

Jimbo
Old 05-01-2006, 09:09 PM

wow i really disagree. he's very witty and his poker knowledge is pretty strong. i was skeptical at first but he really made high stakes poker a significantly better show than it would be without him.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:12 PM

I think he's one of the best and his commentary made high stakes poker even more enjoyable than it already was because unlike Norman Chad always making fun of himself, Gabe was able to mix making fun of all the players with insightful commentary. He has been around poker for a long time and he definitely understands the game.

I remember reading that one of the years Stu Ungar won the main event Kaplan had a big chip lead and was considered the favorite late into the tounrament to win it. Now obviously this doesn't prove that hes a great player or anything but this coupled with the fact that he made a televised final table at this years WSOP already give him more poker credibility than Norman Chad in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 PM

Gabe has been in poker for a long time and knows many of the pros first hand. He knows his stuff, but has to dumb it down for TV.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 PM

Gabe wasn't run out of show business, he truly loved poker, he's passed the test of time. AJ Bend me over Benza, MUST GO
Old 05-01-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gabe has somehow cemented in the minds of America that he is a talented poker player. I hope this poll helps change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a poll of nobody's cement anything? He's not a pro, but he's been around the poker world a long time as a player. He's got some pretty respectable finishes in a variety of games so I'm not sure where you get the idea he doesn't know anything.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=14510
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 PM

alot of the strategical concepts he talks about are dead wrong. there were many incorrect things he said in hspgsn.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:34 PM

Some more Gabe poker stuff:

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2005/0...abe-kaplan.htm
Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM

I played with him years ago. Good player. Miserable prick, but a good player.