Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Is the WPT Dying?

[ QUOTE ]
Like ive said before, just because the WPT show on travel channel sucks does not mean the WPT tournaments are not growing in popularity.

The basic problem on tv i feel is the audience has gotten more sophisticated and they have seen the same types of plays too many times. There really is not much poker to be learned from watching the show.

I think a live (10 - 15 minute delay type tourney would be great).

[/ QUOTE ]

The tournaments themselves may be growing in popularity as evidenced by the increasing numbers of players entering but for the vast majority (thousands to 1) we just see it on the TC and the ratings have dropped quite a bit. I don't know why they have but my feeling is that it mostly has to do with the lack of recognizable faces with a smaller percentage leaving due to the boring play because of the large blind structures.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:18 AM

At midnight the travel channel ends, and infomercials run until 6 or 7 am.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Travel Channel East Feed - West Feed discrepancy

At least where I am on the east coast, I think they repeat the week's episode on Saturday afternoon, in addition to the original showings on Wednesday at 9 and midnight.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The WPT is no longer being shown on Wednesday's at 6 pm PST. I used to Tivo this showing because I didn't want to miss Lost at 9 pm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget the WPT. LOST is way better.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:18 PM

The basic problem on tv i feel is the audience has gotten more sophisticated and they have seen the same types of plays too many times. There really is not much poker to be learned from watching the show.

I feel that this is what kills the WPT and the other shows. The commentators act like idiots to talk up the show and make every bluff or play using position etc seem unbelievable. When bottom pair gets folded to a bet/bluff from the button. Board AcKh10h "MS:Vince..... I can't believe he folded his pair of tens to six high!"

It's why Gabe Kaplan is the best full time poker commentator on tv. He doesn't talk down to the audience. I wish the other guys would wise up.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:16 PM

I can't see the viewership doing anything but increase maybe they wanted the primetime spot.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:18 PM

Aren't the purses increasing steadily?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see the viewership doing anything but increase maybe they wanted the primetime spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

They already had the primetime slot. They used to show it twice - once at 6 pm and once at 9 pm.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the purses increasing steadily?

[/ QUOTE ]

The increased purses are 100% due to the number of people entering the tourney since the purses are 100% generated from that. We are discussing the Travel Channel's TV showing. One has nothing to do with the other.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The US TV viewership for the WPT have declined by double-digit percentage points for two consecutive years since TV poker peaked in 2004.

FIRST -RUN WPT TV ratings on the Travel Channel in 2006 are back to where they were in 2004, i.e. about 600,000 households on average, according to The New York Times.

The Travel Channel chose NOT to exercise the option to carry a 2nd season of WPTE's Professional Poker Tour spinoff after it airs the first season of PPT in July-December 2006.

New players, especially those who are just becoming of legal age (21) to play live, are entering WPT events and boosting attendance.