Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Default .50/1 - 2nd Set + flush draw vs pot on turn

I think I should have lead out on the flop, but what is my action on the turn? I have a solid hand, a nut draw, and a possible low, but for some reason I didn't feel comfortable with where I was in the hand, probably because I didn't bet the flop. Thoughts?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($101.90)
MP2 ($101.70)
MP3 ($161.20)
CO ($325.25)
Button ($68.45)
Hero ($92)
BB ($123.45)
UTG ($75)
UTG+1 ($36.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3.8</font>, UTG+1 calls $3.80, Hero calls $3.80, BB folds.

Turn: ($15.40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $14.65</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: .50/1 - 2nd Set + flush draw vs pot on turn

Heya.. any help peeps?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Hi Redcashion - I'd guess you're probably getting free rolled by a nut low hand. If so, you're playing for a possible $7.40. Either that or UTG is bluffing or semi-bluffing. Hard to know. It wouldn't be hard for UTG to have a better low than you plus a straight on the turn.

The cost this round is $14.65 and if you call will probably be $42.50 or so additional on the next betting round.

Is it worth risking $57.15 to try to win $7.40?

Next time seriously consider folding trashy starting hands from the small blind.

Buzz
Old 11-22-2007, 03:10 AM

Ok, I folded this hand and just wanted to double check that it wasn't an incredibly nitty fold. Btw, I know this isn't a great hand, but I thought it was worth a call in the BB... thanks for the advice on not playing hands like this. I'm still working out hand values preflop to some extent for PLO8.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:17 AM

Hi again, RedCashion - Keep in mind that my own mind set is primarily for fixed-limit Omaha-8, rather than pot-limit Omaha-8. There are substantial differences in how to play these two seemingly similar games.

In fixed-limit Omaha-8, you would probably do well to fold any hand with two or more middle cards. (Exceptions might be A-2-M-M, A-3-M-M-with-a-suited-ace-in-a-loose-game, or maybe A-A-M-M). Middle cards are sixes, sevens, eights, and nines. Fives and tens are borderline middle cards.

Here you have three middle cards and you're going to be out of position.

I still don't understand the pot-limit game, but in fixed-limit, this hand for absolute certain is a poor choice to play even for a partial bet from the small blind. It seems you also get into about the same kind of trouble (except maybe worse) playing this hand in pot-limit Omaha-8 as in fixed-limit Omaha-8.

Buzz