Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Fold a Set for Just a Bet? Twice?

It's just how the table has been playing. Strange but consistent.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM

check behind on river in the first hand. If he has something that will call you (2 pair or w/e), it would have CRed you on the turn. Against a random hand on that river, you have like less then 70% equity.
The bottom line is that you are not a favorite when called.

Hand 2 is really ugly. Limp it PF. turn is standard.
The river is interesting. There are 45+15 (can't count KTdd 2x)
hands that are a straight or flush that should be very solidly within most villains' PF bb defense range, and very solidly in their "call 2, then 2 more" on the turn range.

You are getting 19-1, so you need to come up with 1/20*60=3 combos of hands that you beat on the river. I think I know the answer. Wait for it...

OH WAIT, here's where the analysis breaks down. You don't have a read, so you have to call and hope you get shown 2 pair, and that the other dude doesn't have 66 BECAUSE YOU ARE GETTING 19-1 AND THIS IS LIMIT [censored] HOLD EM.

"payoff with confidence"
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM

As played I call both hands. I prefer a check on the river in the first though. In the first hand, there is at least a reasonable chance that your opponent has 2-pair, if they were holding a pair+straight draw that included a Q.

Call the second. The BB woke up on this scare card, but the pot is huge and it's unlikely anyone has put you on a set of 5s. UTG seems to almost certainly have 2-pair, though a set of 6s is possible.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:00 PM

u could fold vs a good tag in the 2nd hand I think, but ID generally call.... it would take a moron tho for BB to show up with Aces up and not KT or diamonds. first one is straight forward fold.

Hair of dog that fold on the turn is unforgivable, if you still think you were correct to fold you have lots of leaks to find im guessing... be open minded about it, I promise u are wrong here. fwiw 4 ways ur pretty happy to have 4 bets go in on the turn assuming noone has 88, plenty of skylansky bucks right now plus implied odds.

if u call the turn and the river bricks its a very easy fold facing 2 bets.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a very similar hand.

ME 66

PF 4 or 5 (I can't remember) callers including me

Flop 5sb [5 8 6]
UTG Bet
All Call (coordinated board and lots of callers makes me think someone is already there)
Turn 5bb [5 8 6 9]
UTG Bet
Call to Me (with one more to act)
I fold

I was picking up tells from UTG most of the night. Most of them were low confidence tells. In this hand he displayed none of them. I got a few high confidence tells in this hand but they were subtle.
After the over calls I though I had to be dead, well almost. I had 9 outs for a boat and 1 more for quads, but I figured a raise war was about to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. Why are you not raising this flop? You've just been given an opportunity to nail the entire field for muliple bets when you're likely way ahead.

If you raise the flop, the rest of the hand becomes much easier to play.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hair of dog that fold on the turn is unforgivable, if you still think you were correct to fold you have lots of leaks to find im guessing... be open minded about it, I promise u are wrong here. fwiw 4 ways ur pretty happy to have 4 bets go in on the turn assuming noone has 88, plenty of skylansky bucks right now plus implied odds.

if u call the turn and the river bricks its a very easy fold facing 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. On the turn I knew I was behind and panicked a little. I didn't think through the math while I was at the table. After working it out is seems obv that I should have called the turn and fold UI vs. 2 bets on the river. I think it was a reaction to how the table was playing and a fear of having to pay off the straights out there. Gotta work on my passive tilt there. My implied odds were hugantic. Well, live and learn. That's why I'm here.

PS: Sorry for the hijack.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Hand 1 is usually an easy fold. I would also often fold any two-pair or higher set combo as well. I think it's potentially closer than most have given credit and as such a minority of the time(25-30%) we need to call here because there are multiple two pair combos possible and I’ve seen people do stranger things when HU on “scary” boards.

Even so I treat folds like this as situations that reap two rewards. We earn immediate value from our hand(valuebetting the 1BB on the river) and the potential value of increasing our opponent's bluffing frequency in the future beyond an optimal level.

Hand 2 is a tough spot for me, IMO. Obviously the easy answer is call, next hand, thank you.

But I'm constantly trying to examine all of my situations more thoroughly than what is simply dictated by autopilot moves. It might be +EV to call, but that doesn't mean it's the highest EV play.

Sure I’m getting great odds, but given the typical nittiness of the average online 5/10 game this is a situation I feel as if I can fold without recourse. HU it’s a super easy call, but this is a protected pot after heavy action where it's obvious nobody is folding. BB is betting for value on the end, pure and simple. After the way the action has unravelled I don’t see how I’m ever ahead here. Calling two cold not once, but TWICE on a big street is a draw 99% of the time. I grant you guys that calling isn’t likely giving up a lot, and giving this kind of action and then folding can sometimes be targeted in the future, but as long as I adjust for it later I feel as if it’s acceptable assuming the fold is right ot begin with.

As for the results in hand two, BB had 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and UTG had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. At least I was in second place.

Thanks for the responses.