Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Default resolution resets on every startup - new laptop

Hey CTH,

So I just got a new Vostro 1700 (great deal, thanks luckytxguy!) and I love it. The one issue I have is that every time I restart the computer - or startup after it has been shutdown for the night - right after the system tray finishes loading the monitor goes dark for a moment and resets the resolution on my 20" monitor to 1440x920, which is what I have the laptop running at.

It's a pain to change the resolution back every time - any ideas what could be causing this? 10 minutes of googling turned up no answers.

Surf
Old 10-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: resolution resets on every startup - new laptop

Describe your monitor setup a little more. Do you have an external monitor attached? Do you always use the laptop in the same setup? Do you ever close the laptop and use JUST the external monitor?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: resolution resets on every startup - new laptop

[ QUOTE ]
Describe your monitor setup a little more. Do you have an external monitor attached? Do you always use the laptop in the same setup? Do you ever close the laptop and use JUST the external monitor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, good point.

I have my 1900x1200 laptop monitor set to a default of 14xx/9xx. I have a 20" external monitor maximum res of 1600x1200 set to that, it resets to 14xx/9xx to match the laptop monitor.

I never close the laptop and use the external monitor by itself.
I always use this same setup when the monitor is attached, though i will switch the laptop back to 1900x1200 when the monitor is unplugged.

The odd part is that it boots up fine, everything is displaying correctly, and then once it finishes loading all the startup items into the systemtray the screen flickers and then the resolution changes.

Thanks for the help,

Surf