Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 09-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: River Decision?

this hand is EZ James. I'm a bit surprised you think any of the streets are debatable. The only semi debatable street is the flop IMO. However, I haven't read the other responses, or your reasoning, so maybe I am missing something.

PF is a fold vs an UTG raise even 6 handed unless you are playing 6max online and have stats that villain is an overaggro 6max player. Live I just muck, and smile inside when they show the inevitable TT+, AQ+. If they show A5o, or some other strange hand, then I make a note in my head, and next time I pwn them with my pocket sevens or whatever.

Flop is worth a bet. UTGs cap may have been weak, or he may wait for the turn to CR his flopped set, or maybe the board just missed him and he has JJ. If you do get CR, it's not the end of the world. We're trying to get to see the turn and river for 1sb.

Turn. BINGO. Free card.

River. BINGO, free showdown
After the turn check through, people will get paranoid you are bluffing because they showed too much weakness. Just check and hope your hand is good. When I have a weak made hand thst has showdown value in a medium sized pot, I tend to just check it unless I have a very tight image, my opponents are folders, and I am pretty damn sure my hand is not good.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop bet is reasonable, though I'd fold to a checkraise here for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize if we get CRed we are getting more than 13:1 on our gutshot draw to the nuts, right?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM

i didn't really have a tough time with this hand. i thought it was a semi-interesting spot on the river. maybe i was wrong.

it's aggressiveonline game that seems, and more importantly turned out to be, playing like a typical small stakes(2/4-5/10) table.

pf is marginally good.

flop is worth it. pot is big and UTGs line is odd. i think he has an underpair or a monster(two pair/set) here usually. if he's not bet/3betting a monster he's probably waiting for the turn some portion of the time.

underpair combos outnumber set/two pair combos. getting to the river for 1 sb is great, and given the price it's likely worth the risk.

there's not much straight equity value in a river bet. does the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ever fold?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there's not much straight equity value in a river bet. does the 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ever fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
I think the better question is:
how often are you up against 2pair or a set, and how often will those hands fold?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

there's not much straight equity value in a river bet. does the 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ever fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
I think the better question is:
how often are you up against 2pair or a set, and how often will those hands fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

what two pair or set checkcalls like this flop on that board? most always gonna see action in that spot.

IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS PEOPLE: IF THEY HAVE A DECENT FLUSH THEY'RE BETTING THE RIVER BECAUSE THEY'RE AFRAID IT'S CHECKING THROUGH. just wanted to make sure we're on the same page there.

it's pretty obvious how narrow by the river the range really is.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:19 AM

ok james, now you are just confusing me. Are you seriously considering valuebetting this river 3 ways?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok james, now you are just confusing me. Are you seriously considering valuebetting this river 3 ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, not really.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, not really.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, what propensity do you think a mid/smallish club might feel towards a fold because of the irrational fear of a guy left to act that he thinks may raise since he has the nuts(even though he is often holding red jacks, or TT or 99, etc.)? its a situational parlay/multiple advantage kind of question.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop is much close to a check then a bet imho

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I cant totally be against a flop bet with the intention of checking the turn UI. Given the large pot size, we dont have to pull this play off very often to make a flop bet worth it.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop is absolutely standard imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
AQo is my minimum here. I need more information to 3bet with AJo.