Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Taking a shot at mid-stakes

four dimes still not enough, but if its a free roll and not your money who cares
Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 PM

imo the best way to do it is take 1/3 to 1/2 of your action and play 10/20 or 15/30. whatever floats your boat i guess.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 PM

These things hardly ever work out, but gl. Looks like you got a good deal.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daily updates plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Today's update: I'm not playing today. I'm using today to do some scouting and to finish up some non-poker things. I'll probably play some tomorrow and some Wednesday and then put in a good number of hours next Friday to Monday.

Re table selection. I've always be pretty meticulous about that. When I get to a table I don't even start playing until I know it's a good seat in a good game. Often times, I'll pass up good otherwise good seats if I don't like the players behind me. I'm good at leaving bad tables too. Should be even easier because I'll be starting out with only 2 tables.

As to the 3k stuff, as Veganmav said it's an option not a definite. We both understand the variance inherent in these games, but I have no proven track record at these stakes. I think it's tempting because good players have 150, 300, 500 big bet down swings to say that such swings are meaningless, but they aren't. Most people that have ever been down 150BB total in a game are losing players in that game. Some aren't. The option gives Vagenmav the chance to assess the situation, which is only fair as it's his money.

Whatever happens I'm grateful for the opportunity and will be working to make the most of it. Count on seeing quite a few hands from me while I'm reviewing and studying.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:37 PM

if you table select well theres no big difference here, i don't really understand why you don't just run your own roll up to say 15k and take a shot at 10/20 and 15/30 yourself.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 PM

how is it that you're still playing below 10/20 anyway?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Roll issues are about a)laziness/not playing enough b)2 months this summer sitting on the beaches of San Diego...umm...I mean doing stats research at SDSU.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Realize that the best strategy for Leader is to play like a spew and try to run super hot considering he's on a total freeroll. Not the ideal structure for a stake IMO.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Realize that the best strategy for Leader is to play like a spew and try to run super hot considering he's on a total freeroll. Not the ideal structure for a stake IMO.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

lol in other news, it looks like Veganmav is going sweating me some too.

In any case though, I think it's hard to ever structure a deal in this context that's completely risk free for both parties, which is why, in the end, you have to deal with people you trust.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:45 PM

Missing the point. I didn't say "Leader is a slimeball and will probably play like a spew hoping to run it up on a freeroll" I said the structure promotes this. There are lots of ways to structure a stake that doesn't do this. A very simple example is that (assuming you play 5/10 now) you play 10/20 and Veganmav takes half your action. If you need initial money to play you borrow it from him. Your hourly rate drops a bit because your edge is probably bigger at 5/10 but you gain the experience, Veganmav's profit/incentive is obvious, and you share the risk.

Any staking deal is better for the backer than the horse because the horse could probably achieve the same hourly at a lower limit unless he is totally busto. If you want to do the deal to gain mid limit experience than you sacrifice the hourly in order to do that. Maybe we need to understand the motivations of you both in order to structure it better.

-DeathDonkey