Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: NL Cash - how to deal with calling stations

I think it's mainly about patience. I know exacly the player you are talking about and the key is mainly not to bluff alot. Think about it, he calls you with everything preflop and you see every flop (well almost) for free... how can you lose?

You don't have to stack him right away, so giving up up small pots when you actually have nothing is not a big deal

Kex
Old 09-03-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's mainly about patience. I know exacly the player you are talking about and the key is mainly not to bluff alot. Think about it, he calls you with everything preflop and you see every flop (well almost) for free... how can you lose?

You don't have to stack him right away, so giving up up small pots when you actually have nothing is not a big deal

Kex

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you a lot. I just thought about raising a lot hands preflop so that you can win a HUGE pot when you flop something. And certainly don't be afraid to raise a hand like A2 preflop for value and then bet it for value on the flop.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Ya, I think my problem was that I just couldn't accept losing 20 small pots in a row, and was starting to force the issue a bit. It was also an ego thing to extent, sort of "god damn you suck, how am i not up 4 buyins!" and a little bit of resulting tilt. It's so much easier to manage emotion in 6max, but I think that's a big part of where you can get an edge, if you are the one who can maintain emotional control.

I like the idea of limping on the button, that's not something I have ever done in a cash game, but I think versus this type of opponent it makes alot of sense.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 PM

"I like the idea of limping on the button, that's not something I have ever done in a cash game, but I think versus this type of opponent it makes alot of sense."

You should also raise preflop with any hand that is a favorite over a random hand if he is calling you light, I believe. What do you think?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 AM

I have the same problem. I guess the simple answer is to wait for a hand and go to valuetown, but it's much easier said than done when you're not making hands. Also, it's hard for me to raise pre then just check the hand down and leave 6 BB on the table hand after hand.
With these types of players I have been raising about 80% from the button and anything decend from the BB. This is so when I do make a hand I can get way better value out of the three bullets. How do you feel about that?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Howabout following:
Raise preflop (if you decide to play). Continue bet, if you have top or middle pair, decent draw. Continue bet often if you big overcards (specially ace). Overcards play quite well against low pair. When he sees that you are betting "with nothing" he keeps calling and you get value when you have something decent. And shoot second barrels a lot as well
Of course it is important and not always easy to find correct balance in this.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the same problem. I guess the simple answer is to wait for a hand and go to valuetown, but it's much easier said than done when you're not making hands. Also, it's hard for me to raise pre then just check the hand down and leave 6 BB on the table hand after hand.
With these types of players I have been raising about 80% from the button and anything decend from the BB. This is so when I do make a hand I can get way better value out of the three bullets. How do you feel about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I adviced. My theory. It worked for me.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably tilted off half a buyin just trying to win a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, vs. these guys, don't bluff and don't tilt
Old 09-04-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kex

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you a lot. I just thought about raising a lot hands preflop so that you can win a HUGE pot when you flop something. And certainly don't be afraid to raise a hand like A2 preflop for value and then bet it for value on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise every hand that is ahead of his calling range pre. This is like limit poker, it's about highcard value (because he is so passive postflop)

When you flop nothing, do not fire 2-3 barrels like you would vs a normal player. Example, you have A9, flop nothing in postion. Just check behind. Not every time of course, you get the picture...

GL!

Kex
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM

Ace high you can bet for value on the flop. Otherwise, I agree with you, Kex.