Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: What do I do about a card marker?

If the marks are on an unusual number of aces or face cards, then I'd say it's intentional. I've found that my card's "marks" seem fairly well spread out over the deck.

I really think you have to announce this. It's affecting your enjoyment of your own game and even though I'm sure catching the culprit (if this was of malicious intent) would be satisfying, you're going to drive yourself nuts trying to "discover" who it is.

Pfap, take a pic if you can and post it here.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Here's a fairly extreme example of the method of peeking at your cards that I'm referring to.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM

Is there any way for you to discreetly tape one of the tables?

This way, if/when you catch the guy, there's no way for him to talk his way out of it.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:16 PM

I assume that these marks can be seen somehow. Like from a glare of light or something. If not what good do they do? Would the player need to feel them? Who does this benefit? Only person that comes to my mind is the dealer. Any player have especially nice sharp fingernails?

I would be inclined to pull decks at random intervals during the games and inspect them. Should take no time at all to find the aces and check them. Seperate the likely suspects as much as possible too. Heck, I would even go so far as to sit out a tourney and just monitor everything.

While I'm not all for beating somebody in this situation as it can lead to some serious legal trouble I am for publicly outing this person. Since I'm located close to you I don't want this guy migrating to my game.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and is most visible from the card face as opposed to the back.

After reading your post I checked my cards and someone had marked ALL of them on the face. For example someone put a black A and a picture of leaf on my ace of spades!
Old 09-01-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm very much a non-violent person, but I play one game with a biker gang. If I get definitive proof on this, I think the only think preventing me from ordering a beat-down is I think the person would then try to get my game busted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to save you the embarrassment, the Bikers will laugh at you if you try to order a beat-down. They aren't going to beat up some guy at a game they aren't involved in because you think he is marking cards. Maybe they would give him a beating if you bring the guy over to their game and he marks the cards there.

I doubt these bikers are even serious guys or you wouldn't be allowed in their game. They are probably just like 99% of bikers - non-criminals who ride motorcycles.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm.

The marking is a fingernail mark. A crescent shaped indentation along the long side of the card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark all the 2's the same way.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM

I played in a home game recently where the deck was marked with pencil, but I could not figure out what the markings meant.

Anyway, the deck was taken out of play, though I wanted them to be destroyed. I cashed out and left.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm.

The marking is a fingernail mark. A crescent shaped indentation along the long side of the card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark all the 2's the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Yeah, I'd say if you CAN'T catch the guy, you should just mark all the cards the same way, making it all even again, and then announce before the tournament starts the situation.

Maybe play one more tournament and see if you can narrow your suspect list down a bit more. Another tournament would have players sitting at different tables, and check the decks after maybe an hour or two into the tournament. If one table has a marked deck, and the other doesn't, and maybe 2 of your suspects are at the marked deck table, you know it was one of those two. Next tournament, don't invite one of them...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Another thing to keep in mind, when trying to find the culprit...don't just try to catch them marking the cards since that can be done very naturally anyways....you should also look for people who stare at other players cards intently.

I'm not suggesting such staring is proof, but it would be further evidence.