Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Am I being a nit?

[ QUOTE ]
Note: This assumes that you and your roommate did not negotiate who was going to buy the TV before coming to school. If you had said "I'll buy the TV, you can contribute other stuff like food," then you are correct about his paying extra for things. However, if this was the case, then you are partners, and thus have equal say to the TV's usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had already bought the TV/Xbox and was going to bring them for myself anyway, so it didn't make sense for him to buy the same things. Before coming down, I asked for him to contribute the rest of the stuff since my part is obviously more expensive than anything else we have. The only thing he brought down that we currently share is a crappy fridge.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Rooming with people from high school = nitty
Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Note: This assumes that you and your roommate did not negotiate who was going to buy the TV before coming to school. If you had said "I'll buy the TV, you can contribute other stuff like food," then you are correct about his paying extra for things. However, if this was the case, then you are partners, and thus have equal say to the TV's usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had already bought the TV/Xbox and was going to bring them for myself anyway, so it didn't make sense for him to buy the same things. Before coming down, I asked for him to contribute the rest of the stuff since my part is obviously more expensive than anything else we have. The only thing he brought down that we currently share is a crappy fridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not as nitty as a first thought. Still, I think it would be smart to just go 50-50 from here on out. Especially buy your own X-box games. Living with a roommate sucks so I wouldn't try to make it any worse.

Does Smith have big rooms? My room is pretty tiny.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not as nitty as a first thought. Still, I think it would be smart to just go 50-50 from here on out. Especially buy your own X-box games. Living with a roommate sucks so I wouldn't try to make it any worse.

Does Smith have big rooms? My room is pretty tiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ours is decent sized for a dorm. Its on the corner and seems bigger than the rest of the ones in the hall.

I'm not looking to start a conflict or profit through this situation. I just want him to show some respect towards my personal things and keep the room contributions even. Making him buy the games is pretty stupid, but that was actually his idea at first (well before we moved in) and he came with Madden. I highly doubt I don't buy my own games, if I get any more.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM

This is completely nittish. You should buy whatever stuff you want, and he can buy whatever stuff he wants. At the end of the year, you all get to keep your own stuff, so it's really not as big of a bargain for him as you are making it out to be.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 PM

You're a total tool.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a total tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Do you hate having friends? Do you never want to get laid? Come on man its college, you gotta be easy going on this sort of thing. Its hard enough living somewhere new, let alone having some douchebag telling you that you gotta buy his milk for him. Just get some beer in and get smashed playing xbox...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM

I see you are having a good time alienating your roommate the first week of school. You should have a fun year ahead of you...
Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Txs for help guys. Nittishness level has decreased.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rooming with people from high school = nitty

[/ QUOTE ]

I roomed with my high school friend for my first two years at Penn State. Got along perfectly fine. Still do to this day.

Though OP is a real dick. Going through with this is what makes high school friends turn into mortal enemies. Whether he asked you to do it is irrelevant. You still did it of your own volition.

Let's reverse the scenario. Because you brought all those things, should your roommate start buying expensive stuff for you and treat you like a king?