Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: What\'s wrong with my cat?

probably wants a [censored].

has it been neutered/spade? cos some female cats (esp. siamese) get really really tiresome when on heat, basically as you describe.

Also, you americans seem really wierd with cats: All the americans I have spokent to treat them as "house pets". Over here, everyone has a cat flap. My cats are free to come & go as they please, which works really well.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the past two weeks or so, my cat has been spending maybe a third of her waking time wandering around my apartment, meowing pathetically constantly. Obviously I'd like to figure out what the problem is, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very much obliged. Here's what I know:
-The cat is a little over one year old, female, fixed.
-She'll meow even when she has food, water, and a clean litter box.
-When she's in a meowing mood, she's not interested in affection or play, although she'll sometimes be distracted if I vigorously shake her favorite lure.
-Sometimes she'll fixate on the main door of my apartment or the door to the closet where her food is kept. She will scratch at the door or sometimes leap at it. She keeps doing this even though I spray her with a squirt gun almost every time she does.
-I thought she might just be lonely, so I took her to my gf's apartment. She has an older female cat (who strongly dislikes my cat FWIW). She tries to play with gf's cat at about the same frequency as she has in the past, but she's still meowing a lot.
-I bought her some new toys and a harness/leash so I could let her explore a bit in the halls and outside. She seems to like that OK, but again, no end to the meowing.
-She almost never does this when I'm asleep, although she frequently will if I'm in bed reading.

Again, if anyone has any advice, it would be very helpful. I'm starting to worry that my cat is suicidally depressed, plus the meowing seriously impairs my ability to get stuff done at home.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your cat is in heat
I've had tons of cats in my life. This almost always means they're in heat.

After going through 20-30 cats in my lifetime and 1 dog - I can confidently say that cats are absolutely worthless and dont give a flying [censored] about their owners.

Get rid of your cat. Get a dog. It learns, it loves you, and its got a personality.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you want a few moments of peace, you can teach your cat to be quiet on request. Gently ask kitty to "Shush." If the cat ignores you, immediately shout, "BE QUIET!" or squirt her in the face with water once or twice. After a few repetitions, kitty will get the idea and obey the gentle request of "Shush," rather than get screamed at or doused with water.

[/ QUOTE ]

For future parents, I just wanted to point out that this works with toddlers too.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if you want a few moments of peace, you can teach your cat to be quiet on request. Gently ask kitty to "Shush." If the cat ignores you, immediately shout, "BE QUIET!" or squirt her in the face with water once or twice. After a few repetitions, kitty will get the idea and obey the gentle request of "Shush," rather than get screamed at or doused with water.

[/ QUOTE ]

For future parents, I just wanted to point out that this works with toddlers too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not work on a cat in heat.
It forgets what the [censored] just happened and continues to meow for a tom cat.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the past two weeks or so, my cat has been spending maybe a third of her waking time wandering around my apartment, meowing pathetically constantly. Obviously I'd like to figure out what the problem is, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very much obliged. Here's what I know:

[/ QUOTE ]
Your cat is in heat

After going through 20-30 cats in my lifetime and 1 dog - I can confidently say that cats are absolutely worthless and dont give a flying [censored] about their owners.

Get rid of your cat. Get a dog. It learns, it loves you, and its got a personality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your diagnosis seems spot-on. Excellent work.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM

bobman,

What did you end up naming your cat btw?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Either your cat has part of a breed that is a meower, (Siamese just vocalize alot, all the time, as do some other breeds), but from your description of her behavior I think she is bored. Especially because she tries to socialize with your g.f.'s cat who repeated rebuffs it.

I suggest one, get a cat tree, that has at least three levels, the bigger the better. This will give her better play space for herself so she will not bore so easily. Two, try to have more active play time with your cat. Then, if she is still really seeming unhappy, she is probably just a more active, social cat, and would be happier with a companion. A younger cat of the opposite sex is always easier to socialize with your current cat. Good luck.

P.S., If worse comes to worse, two cats isn't really much harder than one.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Is it a realy meow like she is sick or hurt, or is it more like she likes the sound of her own voice? I've had cats that just talk a lot and you could have one.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your cat is in heat

[/ QUOTE ]

Your diagnosis seems spot-on. Excellent work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty for the sarcasm - you're obviously a cat owner.

Fixed cats still go into heat.

Doesnt matter if they can have babies or not.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After going through 20-30 cats in my lifetime

[/ QUOTE ]

20 to 30 cats? Are you eating them or something?