Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Personality and overall attractiveness

I've heard countless times from girls "I don't think xyz is hot because he/she is an a-hole." I've always thought that was pretty stupid. Either you can't rationally separate physical appearance from personality or you are just too scared to honestly answer the question. Guys, for the most part, have no problem saying a girl is smoking hot even if she's a huge bitch.

However, most guys will take personality into account on the other end. For instance, if a girl is really cool/funny/whatever I think guys commonly bump up how they'd rate that girl's attractiveness.

I'm curious how big of a deal this is for you guys. One example of this is Pam on the office. She is obviously a good looking girl, but I think most people instinctively think she's way more attractive than her physical appearance would suggest because her character is just so sweet/endearing.

The video below is what made me write this post. The girl in the first minute or so is certainly not ugly by any means. She's maybe a 6 or so (THIS IS NOT THE POINT OF THE THREAD DON'T ARGUE ABOUT THIS GIRL'S 1-10 RATING), but I am REALLY attracted to her largely because she just seems really cool and fun and obviously doesn't take herself too seriously. If she starts at a 6, I'd say this little clip makes her as attractive to me as a "normal" 8.5. So she gets 2.5 points for being awesome.

Question 1: How much more attractive (in a numerical sense) does something like this make a girl for you?
Question 2: Find more examples (not really a question I suppose).

Girls reading this, I'm not sure the question really applies to you directly, but please comment as you see fit. I don't really want this thread to be about whether or not you can find guys hot even if they're douchebags. That might make an interesting thread, but I'd like to keep this one on the topic of guy's thoughts on the matter. If you think you have any personal experience (more guys like you because you're cool, fun, smart, etc) I'd love to hear that (or anything else you think is related).

<embed src="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=173714" quality="best" scale="exactfit" width="400" height="300" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

In case the video doesn't work for anyone here is where I found it.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Personality and overall attractiveness

I think what's confusing is the double entendre of "attractive".

I think it would be easier if you said "that girl in the video is only marginally attractive to me, but her awesome personality makes her very appealing to me"
Old 05-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Girl has to start out at like a 6 for me to be interested at all.

She can become a 10 if I find her personality attractive.

Edit: Video is indie hipster overload.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:02 PM

I disagree in this case but think you're pretty much right.

Also, for most guys IMO, they ignore personality when looking for random hookups, but take it into account (on both ends; plus for good personality, minus for bad) when looking for a serious relationship.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it would be easier if you said "that girl in the video is only marginally attractive to me, but her awesome personality makes her very appealing to me"

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you understand what I mean. Maybe this will be clearer:

I would try to date/sex/whatever this girl as aggressively as an average girl that was 2.5 points hotter on a 1-10 scale because she seems like fun.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Question 1: How much more attractive (in a numerical sense) does something like this make a girl for you?

It doesnt make her more attractive to me. I never really understood to much of that stuff. Your example of pam from teh office is a great example, I dont really find her attractive at all, she is ok looking but whatever, she's not hot. I know this isnt your point, but she is also playing a character on TV, I realize that she is, so I dont find her more attractive because, well, I know she is playing a character. In real life, if a girl has a great personality, great, lots of people do, but I dont rate her looks higher because of it.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree in this case but think you're pretty much right.

[/ QUOTE ]

she went from like a 6 to a 4.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard countless times from girls "I don't think xyz is hot because he/she is an a-hole." I've always thought that was pretty stupid. Either you can't rationally separate physical appearance from personality or you are just too scared to honestly answer the question. Guys, for the most part, have no problem saying a girl is smoking hot even if she's a huge bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, NO, Mr Oh-So-Right. Now, I'd agree that guys are better at depersonalizing body from overall "hotness" (whether that is GOOD is another argument), but if someone is a huge beeyatch, I don't care HOW good her body supposedly is, she's never going to be "hot" for me.
She'll just be a beeyatch whom a good body got wasted on.

In other words, there's a HUGE difference between me agreeing that someone is attractive and me saying I'd be attracted TO them.
You can decide if that was an honest answer.

I have one question for you, though. Since you so strongly believe in the bump-up factor (and I think you're smart there), why SHOULDN'T there be a bump-down factor?

If you're not attracted to blondes, then a blonde can never be a 10 to you. Since ratings are subjective anyway, is that "wrong" or irrational?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you understand what I mean. Maybe this will be clearer:

I would try to date/sex/whatever this girl as aggressively as an average girl that was 2.5 points hotter on a 1-10 scale because she seems like fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I differ, I wouldnt try to sex this girl ASAP because she isnt hot. If I see a girl who is ok looks wise, but she is really cool, Id rather hang out and talk, or whatever, and try and sex a hot chick.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:08 PM

i know what you mean, totally

i really want to play ping pong now