Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Why I don\'t reraise with AK preflop

ak info is here

http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm
Old 09-03-2007, 04:23 AM

3-betting with ak is super standard and with position on your opponent its even better.. Check behind on the flop.. I tend to c-bet less with ak in 3-bet pots because at these stakes their range is pretty narrow and strong (this is an on average observation, with reads I might c-bet more frequently). Correct me if I'm totally off here, but at micro stakes I usually put random players on a range consisting off TT, JJ, QQ,AQ, AK (u'll probably see the occasional call with AA also, but not to common) when they call in 3-bet pot... Is this way to narrow for an ABC player at these stakes?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:32 AM

holy ninja bump!!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:40 AM

Only time I would not 3bet AK/AQ is against specific villains who would go broke if they hit with dominated hands but fold to your 3bet PF. Even then, it's probably better to 3bet smallish to prevent a multiway pot.

That said, you shouldn't always cbet when you whiff, and this is a pretty horrendous board to do it on, I think.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes that's true. Usually you dump a lot of chips if both your raise and your C-bet get called.

However in my experience, usually your raise and c-bet DON'T get called. A lot of players at micro limits seem to have a lot of respect for a 3 bet, and usually assign the same range to your 3 bet, that they would 3 bet themselves. Then when you c-bet the flop, i think AK flies out hte window because "No way he's betting that big with AK here." I think you just ran into a donk that can't fold AJ here. It happens, but reraising AK preflop is good because you take down a lot of pots right there, the c-bet usually works, and it opens your 3 betting range making it harder for players to identify your big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

why does that make 3betting AK good though?
I donīt think itīs a good reason to 3 bet just because you can take down the pot right there or with a cbet. This would take the whole value of Ak away.
I found that at 50NL people really overvalue their AJ on a A52r board. This is why I often like to call with AK in position.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 AM

because people call you all day long with pp fishing for sets when they don't have the correct odds to do so. when you just call a raise with it, they usually do, because there is a ton of money still left behind. if i go broke to a set in a 3bet pot with tptk, i really don't care, because even if i stacked off every single time that happened, they're still losing money.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 AM

That board is the pits for a cbet unless he got an underpair. I think I might check behind on this flop since we are unlikely to fold much of anything. Now if this flop was 345 with two spades then I'd cbet it.