Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Omaha question

damn it
Old 09-17-2006, 01:30 AM

Why can't I win at Hold'em though? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 AM

I called him with KJ showing...RAZZZ YEAH
Old 09-17-2006, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its pretty obvious these guys have no idea how to play these games. I had one guy cap me in razz with QQ1010 showing. I think they are just using pure aggression to win some hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't copremesa was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 AM

I have been playing a lot of O8 in my spare time and the players at the low limits are soooooo bad. Of course I am probably one of them.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Omaha question [nc]

What kind of cards am I looking for in Omaha/8? I would think you want double paired hands and double suited hands, especially if they contain aces.

What about stud? I'd think you would want pairs in the hole or good drawing hands like 3 to a straight or flush, with a scarey card showing.

In both of these games top pair becomes like ace high in hold'em with so many cards out. After the flop/1st street though, it's just poker as usual.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of cards am I looking for in Omaha/8? I would think you want double paired hands and double suited hands, especially if they contain aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.o8poker.com/

There's a starting hand chart in there.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 PM

To the OP: I often play the freerolls in Omaha hi/lo and the donkeys will raise with A2xx or with anything that they'd raise with in holdem, so AAxx, KKxx, KQxx.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a hi-lo game, you want a hand that will make a low first of all and have a shot at high. For lows, you want "counterfeit coverage". A2xx, where the xs are not babies can be counterfeited by a 2 or A on the board. AA23 is goot! If the aces are suited, this is the best starting hand you can get in Omaha hi-lo.

In Omaha hi, you want hands that combine well. As you noted, double-paired, double-suited is very nice. AAKK would be the best hand if double-suited. A hand like JT98 would be a good hand too, because you can make a shedload of str8s with it. The suitedness becomes less of a bonus as your cards get lower, simply because small flushes can be a disaster. In holdem, a small flush will generally win, but in Omaha it will generally be beaten by the nut flush.

You don't want trips or threesuits.

[ QUOTE ]
What about stud? I'd think you would want pairs in the hole or good drawing hands like 3 to a straight or flush, with a scarey card showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 to an OES is okay. Naturally, you need to pay attention to the other door cards. If one of your str8 cards is showing, you are liking your hand less. If someone is showing an inoffensive card but raises, consider that they might be hiding a flush or str8, so if you need cards that make that for them, discount your outs.

[ QUOTE ]
In both of these games top pair becomes like ace high in hold'em with so many cards out. After the flop/1st street though, it's just poker as usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking that you don't need to adjust for Omaha or stud is a road to ruin, particularly OH pot limit.

In hi-lo games, a sharp awareness of your chances of taking the whole pot is critical. You lose money if you split half the pot.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:40 PM

The biggest way of making money in high low is knowing that everyone else is betting high when you have low, but people never figure for the split pots and sometimes raising costs you money even if you win. Nut straights are notorious for splitting the pot and if a low is on the board its definitely a losing proposition to raise.