Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Overplayed top pair?

Villain came to the table short stacked (10 BB) and has yet to play a hand.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

I feel that I overplayed the flop and I think the call down might have been pretty standard.

Any opinions on the matter?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Overplayed top pair?

The call-down is fine, maybe calling down after the c/r is a possibility since he could be bluffing on this ragged board and you don't want to fold that. Since I don't think he's capping a worse J you only lose 1 sb when that's the case and you neglect to 3-bet.

FWIW, I never trust people buying in for the lowest amount permited. How does other people view this?

Last thing, he bought in for 10$ - 5 BBs right?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The call-down is fine, maybe calling down after the c/r is a possibility since he could be bluffing on this ragged board and you don't want to fold that. Since I don't think he's capping a worse J you only lose 1 sb when that's the case and you neglect to 3-bet.

FWIW, I never trust people buying in for the lowest amount permited. How does other people view this?

Last thing, he bought in for 10$ - 5 BBs right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, my bad. Yeah, bought in for $10.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 AM

Seems like a good spot to call flop and turn and raise the river. You maximize value against bluffs and with his stack size he can't 3-bet the river if he's ahead.

This might actually be the best line against an opponnent with a full stack, at least if you think he's sane enough, that you can raise/fold the river.

Being really worried about being behind, when he raises the flop is weak/tight thinking. Sure it's possible, but in reality not that likely (meaning it's a lot more likely you're still ahead). There's a lot of weaker jacks, pocketpairs, acehigh hands and pure bluffs, and people often wait for the turn with trips.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 PM

I haven't gotten back to this in a bit, but villain has 53o for fives full boat.

I didn't like the flop cap. I figured he'd call a 3-bet with any top pair hand, some pocket pairs and ace high. I figured I was at best splitting the pot when he capped.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM

that only shows that he had garbage and would have gotten it in with some pp also