Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: What do I do about a card marker?

I would tend to think the person would be more apt to move their head from side to side and or up / down. I assume the mark will cause a glare when the light hits it just right so the person is moving their head around for different light angles / reflection points. Try it out for yourself and you'll get the idea of what movements to be suspicious of.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 PM

just thought I'd throw this out there. I work at a poker club in my area, and one thing we do to to keep this from happening is rotating decks every tournament level. We used Copags and gemacos, so these decks are the same as most home games use. I don't know/if you rotate dealers, but this might cut down on the marking.

Our usual set up is 2 decks per dealer, in case of a deck change request, and each dealer takes their set-ups with them when they change tables.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Howdy folks. I haven't posted in here because I got paranoid of some of the suspects reading this and recognizing my name and the situation. But here's an update...

After much discussion with a few trusted people, we decided that it was likely accidental, but agreed that it was completely useless for gaining any sort of advantage. So the main annoyance is simple disrespect for me and my cards and the game.

Last night's game, two of the suspects were playing. I put a fresh setup on their table. When it broke, I checked, and the marks were there. So now it's down to two. One is one of the most likely, one is someone I don't think would do it intentionally but wouldn't rule out is inexperienced enough with live play to do it accidentally.

I sent out a mass email to everybody talking about the mark and saying I was annoyed and not to freakin' do it any more. I also let it be known that I had been tracking it and keeping marked setups out of play, and assured that it was completely useless as a cheating tool.

I then sent out a bcc email to the two people who were at all of the tables with freshly marked cards, implying that it was a somewhat larger group and that I had to use the information at my disposal and make them aware of the situation.

* One person wrote back saying he's here to learn and have fun, and if he was concerned with money he wouldn't be drinking and smoking. He mentioned that he avoids looking at other people's cards if they make them visible, etc. He said he wasn't offended at being accused and understood that I had to do what I could, and he appreciated that I took as many pains as I did.

* The other person wrote back saying that he has a huge edge here already and that marking cards would be like cheating little children.

So, hey, who knows, but now it's there and done. I suppose I could've waited one more week and either gotten them on separate tables or switched out setups when the second person arrived, but at least this way it's hopefully done. I'll still keep an eye out.

Good times.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

* The other person wrote back saying that he has a huge edge here already and that marking cards would be like cheating little children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think it's this guy?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I could've waited one more week and either gotten them on separate tables or switched out setups when the second person arrived

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, for real. I'm dissapointed that you didn't do this. This is the second time in two days a 2+2 had the chance to be Matlock or Mr. Brady in that episode of of the Bunch when they go to court for the car accident and he drops the briefcase, proving the victim's neck wasn't really damaged.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:04 AM

ahh go with paper cards. I have a guy at my house telling me to get the plastic cards. With my paper cards they are new decks every tourney and they are only $.50 a deck.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I could've waited one more week and either gotten them on separate tables or switched out setups when the second person arrived

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, for real. I'm dissapointed that you didn't do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

For real I'm disappointed, too. I just got impatient and fed up. I don't always make good decisions.

It may still happen again. I'll have fresh setups this week. If it happens again and I narrow it down to one person, I'll present him with an option. He either brings a fresh unopened setup of bridge style regular index KEMs or Copags next time he plays, or he doesn't play. Intentional or accidental, he'll pay for his damage.

I really wouldn't want to go to paper cards. I suppose it makes sense to use them for tournaments, and perhaps even on tables I'm not running in the cash games. At least minimize the damage with zero affect on my own experience. But it takes away from the overall quality of the game I prefer to run.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think it's this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You stole my thunder. His answer "red flagged" him as the ringer.