Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 06-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Fun free games for the PC

I just found a free game called enemy nations.

You can download a free copy here (I think it may also be hosted on filefront): (306 MB) download.

The support forum is: support forum.

A description of the game (excerpt from hotu which also links to a download pdf manual):

Enemy Nations is one of the best and most sophisticated real-time strategy games ever made. It's also a game you've probably never played, because its slated publisher went out of business shortly after the game's release, forcing developer Windward Studios to sell the game exclusively from its website. If you ever hoped you could have more resources and do research in Red Alert, or that you could control your soldiers more directly and have a simpler economy in Settlers, then Enemy Nations, as a game sitting squarely between the two, fits the bill. It's neither a simple action strategy game, nor is it a straightforward god game with token battle elements. Rather, it's an isometric strategy game which takes influences from half a dozen existing games and tries to blend them into something new, and in most aspects, succeeds admirably.
----------------------

My $0.02: Apparently, there are many other games of this genre like Supreme Commander, but I've never played them. This is a good free introduction to this rts strategy genre that runs nicely on today's PCs.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice little free FPS:

http://alientrap.org/nexuiz/

If anyone is interested let me know so we can play.

[/ QUOTE ]

hows the community in this game? seems like a little fun game to play, gonna give it a go and see how i like it

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only played a HU match versus one of my buddies. It's amazing how closely it resembles Unreal Tournament.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:44 PM

i tried it out, and it was like UT. i loved UT, but for some reason i couldnt get into this. idk what it was

i tried wolfenstein, but didn't like that to much. would be a better game when LANNing with a bunch of friends.

gonna try that RTS game
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM

i downloaded the RTS, but its saved as a RAR file (which makes it play under media player, which obv doesnt work) and i dont know which file to save it under. little help?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 PM

You need to have a rar utility. You can use winrar (free trial) or rarzilla (free). Just type into google for more info. Also, make sure you burn all files, after using a rar utility, to a CD because of the copy protection.

This game is now released as free, but they left the copy protection in....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 AM

7-zip is free, too and can handle most compression formats.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:43 PM

Best game ever back in the day.. free now and a new name

Subspace

http://www.subspacedownloads.com/
Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Utopia is a massive multiplayer internet-based strategy game.

Its a turn-based, text-based strategy game. You join a kingdom with 23 or so other players and battle with other players in other kingdoms to expand your land and your worth. You train soldiers, wizards and thieves, and build various buildings to improve and grow your province.

Turns are taken once an hour (building, training, research etc), but you can attack/steal/etc anytime. You really only need to devote a few minutes at a time to the game to participate, thanks to the turn structure.

Wikipedia Entry

One thing to note, a game cycle lasts 3 or 4 months (an 'Age'), and then all kingdoms are wiped and everyone starts back from square one. This next such 'Age' starts like next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 PM

does anyone remember a game that was somewhat like a paintball simulator back in the day, i think it was called PB Term or something?

web page

theres the download for it, looks like it was back in 1998ish? It was a really fun game, it looks like it has long since died out though