Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Focus on the Family News...

[ QUOTE ]
Dobson won't back Thompson

The post was originally posted to show that Focus on the Family (a main enemy of ours) support is slowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thompson moves up a notch in my book.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dobson won't back Thompson

The post was originally posted to show that Focus on the Family (a main enemy of ours) support is slowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thompson moves up a notch in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineer,

Remember that you are supposed to be getting us some info on Fred by asking Mr. Pappas to ask Sen. D'Amato to ask Fred. We really need to know this as quickly as possible. Because if Thompson is going to be for us, then it affects how repubs vote. Whoever Dr. Dobson is going to end up backing, most likely Romney or Brownback, is going to run best in the primaries against the most liberal repubs, like Giuliani. But those guys are going to run worst against Thompson who is as conservative as they are on most issues except social ones.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Engineer,

Remember that you are supposed to be getting us some info on Fred by asking Mr. Pappas to ask Sen. D'Amato to ask Fred. We really need to know this as quickly as possible. Because if Thompson is going to be for us, then it affects how repubs vote. Whoever Dr. Dobson is going to end up backing, most likely Romney or Brownback, is going to run best in the primaries against the most liberal repubs, like Giuliani. But those guys are going to run worst against Thompson who is as conservative as they are on most issues except social ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'Amato endorsed Thompson as a private citizen, not as PPA president. Thompson's not made a public statement on the subject, pro or con.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 PM

Remember, Dobson has only ever endorsed Bush. Maybe, he is reluctant to be so burned again. He may be backing out of political endorsements. His homophobia is astounding.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Engineer,

[/ QUOTE ]

D'Amato endorsed Thompson as a private citizen, not as PPA president. Thompson's not made a public statement on the subject, pro or con.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. But since D'Amato knows him personally, and Mr. Pappas knows D'Amato, and you know Pappas . . . you should be able to find out for sure don't you think? Unless of course Thompson isn't for poker and Sen. D'Amato doesn't wish that to come out.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Engineer,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. But since D'Amato knows him personally, and Mr. Pappas knows D'Amato, and you know Pappas . . . you should be able to find out for sure don't you think? Unless of course Thompson isn't for poker and Sen. D'Amato doesn't wish that to come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked, and that's the answer I was given.

I wasn't surprised. I don't imagine Thompson wants me to be the one to announce his position for him. I hope he'll come out for us, but I don't know his stand. I'm encouraged by his other stands in favor of federalism, and by Dobson's rejection of him.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 PM

Engineer,

Thanks then. Now I'm not ragging on you because you're just the messenger, but that answer is very weak for more than one reason. In the first place it's not like Thompson's position on poker is a huge plank in his platform that he doesn't want let out until he can make a big deal of it. And in the second place, that distinction about Sen. D'Amato endorsing Thompson as a private citizen so as to deflect criticism if Thompson isn't for us is BS. As the president of the PPA he either should be endorsing someone pro-poker or abstaining from any endorsement. I mean how would it fly if the chairman of the board of the AFL/CIO endorsed an anti-union repub as a "private citizen"? I'll bet his job would only be good until the next board meeting.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks then. In the first place it's not like Thompson's position on poker is a huge plank in his platform that he doesn't want let out until he can make a big deal of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We read the FoF and anti-gambling sites; some of us even get their mail. Do you imagine that they don't do the same to us? Thompson's campaign is barely born, let alone walking and you want them to carry our water right now? The FoF saying it will not support Fred may or may not mean a lot considering other factors. But I am sure they would help almost anyone else in the primaries if Fred said much about strongly backing on-line gaming or even a simple convoluted statement only backing fully regulated games of skill.

[ QUOTE ]
And in the second place, that distinction about Sen. D'Amato endorsing Thompson as a private citizen so as to deflect criticism if Thompson isn't for us is BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to look at this from both sides of political cover. I don't know for sure exactly how much D'Amato feels his personal political credibility is tied up in the PPA. Depending on that calculus I doubt he would throw the PPA under the bus for a personal friend, but I guess it is possible. I don't know Al personally; I haven't reached out to Friends of Fred’s who know him about this issue, so I have no personal information to share on this issue. I do have my own personal thoughts about Fred's potential help on this issue. Even if I knew from a personal conversation from Fred that, he was going to fully support on-line poker, and I had a signed written copy of the inevitable “First 100 Days 100 Issues” Inaugural or Transition press release to repeal the UIGEA I surely wouldn't disclose it at this point in his candidacy especially if it was in the top half of the list.

D$D
Old 10-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Dobson seriously considering moving to 3rd party candidate

Rasmussen poll : Looks like it will help Dems alot
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM

If Dobson were to throw his support behind a minor third party candidate, it will do more damage to his supposed power base that it will to the Republicans. Some of his followers will leave, because they realize there is no way a third party candidate could win.