Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

The Wild Bunch

I found this seriously underwhelming. I always felt Peckinpah was overrated, but the recent viewing and discussion of 'Straw Dogs' made me want to reassess, so I bought this, and finally got around to watching it.

I found it greatly overrated. There's some good lines, and the last 15 minutes or so is very good, but otherwise it's quite pedestrian to me.

I need to see some more Peckinpah I think to be sure, so might aim to see 'Cross of Iron' sometime soon.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 AM

diebitter - if you're looking for more Peckinpah, DON'T go for Killer Elite! As much as I love Peckinpah, even I have to admit that one was ordinary at the very best.

Read where there are 2!!!! sequels planned for Mr.Brooks. Reviews have been mixed but mostly bad. MetaCritic has it at 44% and RT at 53%. There were maybe 15 people in the theatre last night and a few walked out. Obviously the producers think it has more legs than their audience does.

If I didn't express in my first post how bad I think it is, please let me reiterate. If there were something else going for this movie besides it's storyline, perhaps the story itself could be forgiven for being so full of subplots, ridiculous coincidences and unbelievable characters. Unfortunately the whole movie is the story.

Maybe there is something there in the Costner/Hurt's character being so torn and twisted on the inside, yet being able to keep his life so together on the outside. nah.. that's probabaly just accidental because there is absolutely no focus on his outside appearance. He spends all his time in his sick little world.

If you have no facination with serial killing psychos, you have no reason to see this movie. If you do have such a facination and this movie doesn't bore you to tears, please tell us about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM

I recently watched "Boiler Room" again and was reminded how bad it was. The dialogue is just too forced and stilted, though i'm curious if that's a failing of the actors, since most of the dialogue from Giovanni Rabbisi seems to work out.

I just can't forgive Affleck for his HORRIBLE delivery of his monologues. It's like somebody injected botox into his face so the only thing moving is his mouth. No emotion, no energy. The only energy his in how loud he yells and how many times he says the f-word.

To anybody that liked this film: Go see Glengarry Glen Ross and watch how the pros did it.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Knocked Up thread

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the movie I wanted to see last night. Haven't opened the thread yet as I want to watch the movie first.

Mr. Brooks was the gf's choice. She thought less of it than me. Maybe next time she'll listen and let me pick the movie. Maybe I should send her to AA for her problem.

"Hello. My name's K. and I'm a bad movie picking addict"

(That's my idea of a Mr.Brooks joke. If you watch the movie you'll see how bad my joke is - it's worse than it seems)
Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wild Bunch

I found this seriously underwhelming. I always felt Peckinpah was overrated, but the recent viewing and discussion of 'Straw Dogs' made me want to reassess, so I bought this, and finally got around to watching it.

I found it greatly overrated. There's some good lines, and the last 15 minutes or so is very good, but otherwise it's quite pedestrian to me.

I need to see some more Peckinpah I think to be sure, so might aim to see 'Cross of Iron' sometime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...I'm surprised..it's one of the all-time greats, IMO...if you want more Peckinpah, take a look at Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. I've always liked that one.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 PM

I recently saw Smokin' Aces and boy was I underwhelmed. Writer/director Joe Carnahan is obviously going for a True Romance feel but he fails...the characters are uninvolving and boring, and the story is an incomprehensible mess. He also is guilty of having a character TELL us everything we need to know at the end in an expository monologue instead of SHOWING us and setting the story up with twists and turns and a big reveal like he should've.

Interesting cast, though.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM

I just recently saw The Dog Problem IMDB Solo (Giovanni Ribisi) spends a fortune going to his psychiatrist (Don Cheadle) and then runs out of money ... so his psychiatrist suggests he get a pet.

This movie I thought was very well done and extremely funny in some parts as well as being a pretty serious drama in others, Scott Caan plays the comedic relief in this movie and he does a hilarious job..

Also, I saw Bristol Boys IMDB The true story about the rise and fall of a group of suburban marijuana dealers from Bristol, Connecticut who were arrested by the State Police and DEA in 2001.

This movie wasn't a documentary though, and its basically just a drama about these kids lives, has a very Requiem for a dream type feel to it... There is a scene in it involving a stripper, an ass, and some blow, so I also though 2p2 would like it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 PM

As two posters have stated, "The Lives of Others" was an amazing film. If you have not done so yet, do yourself the favor and watch this cinematic jewel immediately.

Also, I enjoyed "Closer"
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently watched "Boiler Room" again and was reminded how bad it was. The dialogue is just too forced and stilted, though i'm curious if that's a failing of the actors, since most of the dialogue from Giovanni Rabbisi seems to work out.

I just can't forgive Affleck for his HORRIBLE delivery of his monologues. It's like somebody injected botox into his face so the only thing moving is his mouth. No emotion, no energy. The only energy his in how loud he yells and how many times he says the f-word.

To anybody that liked this film: Go see Glengarry Glen Ross and watch how the pros did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! So many people love Boiler Room and I really can't stand it, for exactly the reasons you stated. And Affleck should stick to making cameos in Kevin Smith movies.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Walk the Line

Finally got to see this. Phoenix absolutely nailed it, he was just terrific as Johnny Cash. Witherspoon too, who I usually hate, did a wonderful job here as June Carter. And one other thing I like was how the music didn't break the drama, it was part of it, it fed into it, it all worked together beautifully.

Phoenix is in the top 5 best movie actors working today, IMO.
Closed Thread