Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Default With hands like this, am I just pot, pot, potting?

The villain is 26/21/7

$0.25/$0.5 No Limit Holdem
5 players
Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
UTG (<font color="#0000cc">$33.00</font>)
CO (<font color="#0000cc">$20.05</font>)
BTN (<font color="#0000cc">$29.70</font>)
Hero (<font color="#0000cc">$57.85</font>)
BB (<font color="#0000cc">$57.00</font>)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is SB J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#777777">2 folds</font>, BTN calls $0.5, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, BB calls $2, <font color="#777777">BTN folds</font>

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($5.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, BB calls $4

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($13.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, BB calls $8

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($29.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $18</font>, <font color="#777777">1 fold</font>

There's the title. Is that how I play this hand? Just bet bet bet?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: With hands like this, am I just pot, pot, potting?

How many hands on your villain? He is very aggressive over whatever sample you have. You can certainly vary your play somewhat (example, consider checking to him on the river to induce a bluff from a busted hart draw). But there's nothing wrong with your play here.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands on your villain? He is very aggressive over whatever sample you have. You can certainly vary your play somewhat (example, consider checking to him on the river to induce a bluff from a busted hart draw). But there's nothing wrong with your play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah, I mean I know I can try to induce, I just meant is there any point during hands like this where I ought to get cautious?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM

Nothing that I see. You are compelled to bet the turn because the board is wet. The only reason I would consider slowing on the turn is to c/r ai if I know he would bet a draw when checked to. Your turn bet does commit you to this pot (conditionally, IMO).
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah, I mean I know I can try to induce, I just meant is there any point during hands like this where I ought to get cautious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the villain. I've seen quite a few villains with similar stats that play monsters super passive. In this hand I think you played it fine, however I'd consider checking the river to induce bluffs, though if he had a draw I would think you would have heard about it sooner...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM

No need to let him draw for free. The 4 extends the opportunity to bring him along as he hunts for a heart. I might check-call the river or block-bet $10 and call any rr (sizing?). (And this answer may be why I'm not playing 50NL!)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 PM

Your line is fine. Other line that is fairly standard against aggro opponent is stack-a-donk.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Just make note of those players who play QQ and KK against you this passive. There are a few at 25NL and 50NL.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Flop and turn look fine to me. Standard size bets to charge flush/straight/overs to see the next street, or to get value from smaller PP.

River is a bit more problematic. Better hands aren't folding, so you're obviously doing this for value. You need to pick the weak hands he might have and target them for a call, but your bet is so strong it's almost certainly folding out everything you beat. Missed draws are folding, smaller PP's and even a Tx [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s will have a tough time calling such a strong bet. I'm torn between c/c to try bluff inducing and betting about 10-12 to tempt weak hands to look me up. Tough spot.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:29 PM

I think this is a good line. So many people will call two PSB's because they have an Ace and they're thinking "zomg! I could make a straight!"

I would probably check/call on the river OOP though, because it gets more value out of these donks when they try to bluff their busted straight draw.