Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Razz - defending bring-in with 9 low

Sorry for posting another really basic hand. I just need help with the very basics in Razz - hope you guys don't mind.

Reads: The game is in a HORSE rotation. Villain seems to be pretty good at the games. He is very aggressive, and I think has been raising a lot of bring-ins. He also pulled some kind of limp-raise play a couple of hands ago and just strikes me as knowing what he is doing. Although I don't know Razz well, so I can't identify his plays too well.

Given this, is calling here on 3rd street ok? Raising is out of the question, right? Would calling be ok against a nit too?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1,50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.50 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (2.50 BB - $25)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Razz - defending bring-in with 9 low

Another Q: Is he right to call 4th here? If I was in his position I might fold...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Your call on 3rd is fine. I would raise a persistent stealer (someone who almost always steals with a low card one or two off the bringin. I don't like his call on 4th although it does at least seem to imply that (this time) he had a good 3 card hand.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 PM

You played the hand just fine.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Villain's call on 4th is fine if (since) he started with a significantly better hand than you on 3rd.

Your call on 3rd is standard.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another Q: Is he right to call 4th here? If I was in his position I might fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

the villain is laying 11.5:3.5 = 3.3:1. Its a little slim to be calling on 3rd but I like your call. On 4th your laying 4.3:1, if he has a clean hand he can peel because the pot is large enough but if the dead cards are needed then it should go in the muck.

in short - its not horrible. Of course your bet was 100% correct.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 PM

I don't think the call in 3rd in mostly about pot odds. Villain is probably raising wide here, and you could be significantly ahead.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the call in 3rd in mostly about pot odds. Villain is probably raising wide here, and you could be significantly ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot size is always a consideration. Always. You make your profit on later streets, don't get involved unless your expectation is high and the pot is large enough to make good decisions (or rather we should say is not too small which forces you to make some bad decisions). In this case the pot is large enough that if he is on a steal your in good shape to make good decisions later when weighted against the strength of the hero's hand. Although a 9 is likely the better hand it could easily become the dominated hand on the next street all because the 9 is showing.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 PM

You played it perfect. The other guy played it perfect if he had 32 in the hole. With 87 in the hole he's got a fold on fourth. I'm not sure what the threshold is where his hand isn't live/low enough to peel.