FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:12 PM

Default FTOPS #6 (322$): AJo on the button, facing a pf-raise, flop comes AKx

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $30/$60
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $120</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($390, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $300</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($990, 2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($990, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $720</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $2430

No particular reads on Villain, he was 25/8 over the last 65 hands, had shown no special moves at all.

Comments?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: FTOPS #6 (322$): AJo on the button, facing a pf-raise, flop comes AKx

looks ok.

EDIT: I like the turn check to induce bluff as well
Old 08-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: FTOPS #6 (322$): AJo on the button, facing a pf-raise, flop comes AKx

Fold pre-flop.

As played, fold flop.

As played, bet turn 1/2 pot.

As played, call river.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: FTOPS #6 (322$): AJo on the button, facing a pf-raise, flop comes

Tackleberry--

I think I would've played this pretty much the same way you did. It seems pretty standard, but the fact that you posted it leads me to believe villain showed down a better hand--trips, maybe, or AQ/AK. Unfortunately, reads on the villain would be very useful here, but I can understand why you might not have them this early.

Without specific reads on the villain, I would probably defer to reads on the tournament competition. In a microstakes tourney like a 4/180, I'm probably going to call this down since a lot of weak aces are probably in the villain's range.

I've never played MTT's with buyins this high, but I have to believe that a villain at these stakes probably won't be betting AT this strongly here. In that case, it looks like there are fewer hands we can beat that are building a pot like this.

Like you, I think I'd be suspicious of his flop bet, which might be an attempt to buy the pot with a middle PP, though it's a little on the large side for this.

I agree with tomek on your turn check, which I think helps to control the pot size. However, you could make the argument that a bet on the turn will help "define your hand," in Harrington's words. If you're raised, you're probably done with the hand, since that's an unlikely play for a weaker ace or a middle PP like 88 on that board. If he calls, I think he's likely to check to you on the river, allowing you to check behind and keep the pot small. If he calls on the turn and bets the river, I'm probably calling a percentage of the time, depending on the size of his river bet. As played, though, I think you were correct to call his river bet.

If he showed down 66, 99, A6, or A9, that's just unlucky. Your check on the turn might have given him a free card, but it wasn't dangerous since he didn't have a lot of outs. 33 I'd probably pay off--at least we kept the pot small by checking the turn. AK/AQ I'm unhappy to see at showdown, but I'm not sure I see him checking the turn with these hands.

This is all, of course, IMHO. Overall, I think your line was pretty good here.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM

are you Tacklebox M?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

As played, fold flop.

As played, call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

As played, fold flop.

As played, call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine. Don't listen to whatever the [censored] is up there. It might be nice for you to post stack sizes.

Barry
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

As played, fold flop.

As played, call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine. Don't listen to whatever the [censored] is up there. It might be nice for you to post stack sizes.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Most players are better off not calling raises with AJo in the early levels. The problem is not so much that you aren't EV+ against a reasonable estimation of the raiser's range; rather, the problem is that most players can easily wander into playing for a large pot without being able ascertain that they're not behind a bigger ace. Expert post-flop players can make this call, but for most players it's better to stay away and fold pre-flop.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[...]It seems pretty standard, but the fact that you posted it leads me to believe villain showed down a better hand--trips, maybe, or AQ/AK.[...]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, thanks to all posters - especially those who bear me out on this!!

To solve the results - I won that hand, Villain showed 44. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just wanted to know if my line was reasonable at all.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you Tacklebox M?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Wait a minute - did he play like an expert, winning some major tourney recently? In this case it could be me! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]