Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Barry: most poker books are written by losers

[ QUOTE ]
Then we see the poker player who wants to contribute something to society. He or she knows that just winning money in contests of skill is not fulfilling in itself. (Some of you young people with have trouble with that statement.) He wants to contribute something to society, even if it’s in the form of entertainment. Some of our tournament heroes have done that and still freely give their time to autograph signing and the like. At last they are giving something back and satisfying themselves and the public. A book authored by them, even if it’s ghost written, can help with that fulfillment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is truly a bizarre statement.

I'm not sure any poker book could ever directly contribute to society, just as I'm not sure playing poker could ever directly contribute to society.

I pretty much agree with Barry in his statement that he started giving large amounts to charity because taking money from weaker minds is not fulfilling and does not benefit society.

What book(s) are you referring to ?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then we see the poker player who wants to contribute something to society. He or she knows that just winning money in contests of skill is not fulfilling in itself. (Some of you young people with have trouble with that statement.) He wants to contribute something to society, even if it’s in the form of entertainment. Some of our tournament heroes have done that and still freely give their time to autograph signing and the like. At last they are giving something back and satisfying themselves and the public. A book authored by them, even if it’s ghost written, can help with that fulfillment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is truly a bizarre statement.

I'm not sure any poker book could ever directly contribute to society, just as I'm not sure playing poker could ever directly contribute to society.

I pretty much agree with Barry in his statement that he started giving large amounts to charity because taking money from weaker minds is not fulfilling and does not benefit society.

What book(s) are you referring to ?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing bizarre in the above statement. Writing a book that provides good advice and insight, whether it's a "how to" book on auto mechanics or a "how to" book on poker... it's still making a contribution. You read the author's book and become a better poker player. He has contributed to your success. Bizarre??
Old 10-15-2007, 10:03 PM

You realize that you're responding to a post made months ago, right?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a stretch to call "Ace on the River" a strategy book.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'ed...
Old 10-16-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a stretch to call "Ace on the River" a strategy book.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'ed...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Dynasty:

I don't completely agree. While there are many poker titles on the market, most of them have very small sales. So when Greenstein makes a carless statement like this, many people will think that he's talking about our books. Furthermore, if he was more familiar with the actual content of our books he would know that we have been very critical of weak-tight advice going all the way back to our original publications in 1987 and 1988.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

2p2 is far from immune to being called weaktight at times. In one of your own poker essays books, you recommend checking QQ from the BB multiway so that your opponents won't have the odds to call with a lone overcard on the flop.

3 things:

1. You are making their preflop limps correct by not raising
2. a lot of opponents who aren't conscious of pot size won't call with their KT on a J hi board anyway unless they have another draw to go with it.
3. opponents who are conscious of potsize will fold their lone overcards on the flop anyway, because they will be afraid of drawing to the worst hand.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Play poker by the pro's isn't a terrible book for those that wish to get their feet wet on limit texas holdem.

The beginners strategy of playing extremely tight with hands that hold up well in heads up pots made me a lil money over a long enough period (9 months) when I first started to play limit holdem. I don't play much limit holdem now as I tend to play razz alot and getting into stud high of recent...but I am up moneywise on the game.

I think it is actually a great introductionary book on all the games. The title, 'Play like the pros' might be a lil overkill. The razz section isn't very complete but it certainly at least won't get you playing like an idiot and will at least give you a gambling chance.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Barry has a very good game selection. That's one of the most important skills indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to point you out but I just read a post directly from BarryG. "Unfortunately, he's right. I may get you a big win, but I might lose the million also. And I don't make good game selection decisions in many cases"
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that Barry has a very good game selection. That's one of the most important skills indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to point you out but I just read a post directly from BarryG. "Unfortunately, he's right. I may get you a big win, but I might lose the million also. And I don't make good game selection decisions in many cases"

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he tries to make:
Barry stalking Ray Zee
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The title, 'Play like the pros' might be a lil overkill. The razz section isn't very complete but it certainly at least won't get you playing like an idiot and will at least give you a gambling chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to his interview from the 50k HORSE tournament, Hellmuth is "world class" at razz so the chapter in his book must be genius. Of course, I'm not sure exactly which "world" he's living in...