Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Trip Report: Foxwoods World Poker Finals

Figured I'd write a trip report for the amusement of the crowd...

From the $600 Omaha Hi-Lo Tournament

The first table I was at was pretty good, no pros or anything...A few people who played too many hands and nobody too aggressive...LO8 is definitely not my game, I'm much more comfortable playing PLO8, but I read Capelletti's book and toned down the aggressiveness...

Level 1 (25-25 blinds, 25-50 limits, starting stack 3000)...6th hand I get AA83, 3 spades to A high...I raised in MP (the first person to raise PF at the table) and got 5 total callers...Flop of Kd3d4h...Checked to me I bet and get 4 callers...I check-muck a Qd turn...Probably a bad bet on the flop...

Towards the end of 1st level...I check in SB with Q742 rainbow and hit a beautiful A35 flop...I check, BB bets, all others in hand muck and I call...Turn 4, I check raise, he calls...Blank on river and I chop with A3KT...I played that hand like [censored]...

Last hand of the first level...I call in MP with QQ24...Flop of Q29 rainbow, I check hoping to check-raise...That didn't happen...Turn 3d, bet-call in front of me and I raise...Fold around to the bettor who calls as does the guy in between...River 3, check to me, I bet all muck...

End of first level: 3,150

2nd level (25-50 blinds, 50-100 limit)...Two memorable hands...First, I'm in BB with A499...Flop of KdQd9s...I bet and UTG calls, we are HU...Turn 7h, I bet he raises, I call...I don't figure him for JT here because I figured a straight has to raise the flop (unless he has the diamonds with the JT) and a set shouldn't be raising that board...River 6s, I check, he bets (which worried me) and I make a crying call...He shows AdKdQT for nut flush draw, top 2, and straight wrap that missed...

Other hand...I'm in LP with AKd24d...I raise and get 4 callers...Flop of J85, one diamond...SB bets and we all 4 call...Turn was a low diamond (forgot which one), giving me the nut low...The SB bet (he'd been really active and showing down some marginal (to be kind) hands), 2 callers...I raised here wanting to win a big pot if I hit...It ended up getting capped 4 ways...The guy next to me who was really tight was in the hand the whole way so I knew he had to have an A2 and wasn't sure what the other guy had...Figured the SB for 2 pair or something...River K, checked around to me and I stupidly bet...I shoulda just checked there because I got 1/6ed with A2...The SB had trip Js...

End 2nd level...3,825 and feelin' good...

3rd level (50-100 blinds, 100-200 limits)...No memorable hands...Table broken, get moved to a table with 2 other guys from my table, the SB with trip Js from before...Get put at a table with a loudmoth mofo who had a big stack and was chirpin' like crazy...Fortunately I had position on him so that was great...

End 3rd level...3,550

4th level (75-150 blinds, 150-300 limit)...In the BB with QT32 rainbow and decide to call a raise from a MP...Flop of A76, rainbow and I lead out and all 3 in the hand call...Turn Q, I bet and all 3 call again...River Q, I bet, UTG (the trip Js guy from earlier) raises, I reraise, he calls and mucks...Said he had an OE straight draw and was trying to promote his low even though he knew I had 23...I didn't get that statement but I drug a nice pot...

End level 4: 6,025 (above average)

Level 5 (100-200 blinds, 200-400 limit)...I raise in the hijack with Ac3c64 and get a caller behind and 2 other callers...Flop of 255 rainbow, checked to me, I bet and the guy behind me raises and gets it HU...Turn 5, I check-call...River J, I check-muck and curse my luck and get a lecture from the loudmouth at the table that I shoulda folded on the turn...Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Another hand...I limp in EP with Ah5h6d9d...Gets raised behind me and I call...4 others in with me...I know if I don't hit hard I'm out...Flop of Ts3d4h...Bet in front of me from loudmouth and I figure I have enough to call with so I do and we get 2 other callers...I sit there saying "DEUCE, DEUCE, DEUCE!!"...Turn 2s...Loudmouth checks, I bet, the original raiser calls, fold, Loudmouth folds...River 7c, I bet out dark (probably stupid for not sitting there and thinking about it)...The original raiser thinks and thinks, looks at his hand several times and I'm playing Jedi mind tricks with this old fart begging him to call and he finally does and I get to announce "NUT NUT" and drag a nice huge pot to the super tones of the Loudmouth saying "I knew he had that"...

End Level 5: Around 7000-8000 (don't have exact count)...Playing really well...

Level 6 (150-300 blinds, 300-600 limit)...At this point I probably have about 6,000 chips which is around average...I look down and find Ah2hT9 and raise from UTG+1...All fold except for UTG limper...Flop of Jh7h4s...UTG checks, I bet...Turn 4c, UTG checks again and I bet (This is where I can use help from the limit guys...Is this a bet? I think it is just because my draw is so good, draw to the nut flush and gutshot straight with the nut low draw...Granted I'm not uncounterfeitable, but I want to win a big pot if I hit)...UTG calls...River 7s, check-check...UTG shows J322...I wanted to puke...And to top it all off after I muck the Loudmouth calls for me to show my cards...I don't say anything because he had his boys with him but I wanted to call him a F**kign A$$hole for that...He calls the floor over and the floor says the dealer can show my hand even if it has already hit the muck...I was hoping that it got mixed up really well, but unfortunately it didn't...This guy was a total piece of crap, he kept insulting the guy next to me about how ugly he was...The guy next to me had a great sense of humor about...Fortunately the Loudmouth would bust out later in this level, karma is a b*tch buddy!! LOL

End level 6: 4,050...Not looking too good, average probably about 6,000-7,000 at this point...But I'm still not panicking because I'm playing well...Woulda been great to catch with that Ah2hT9...

Level 7 (200-400 limit, 400-800 blinds)...Last hand of the level...EP shortie goes all-in for 800...I look down 2 seats behind him with Ac4cKdQd...I had about 2,100 at the time and was looking to get as many chips as possible...I figured if I could get this hand HU I'd have a decent shot to scoop (thank God for that NLO8 I had played)...I reraise to 1200 and it gets around to the BB who takes a good minute to call me saying "Pot odds, pot odds"...He was really short as well, probably only had about 1,900 or so...Flop of Ax2x5d...He checks, I bet...He goes all-in for his last 700 or so and proceeds to be a dick and SLOWLY turn over his cards one at a time, showing A24T..I wanted to barf...Turn Jd giving me hope and a river 3d gives me a decent chunk of the pot...The all-in guy flopped a wheel and ended up getting 1/6thed...

End Level 7: 3,100...Still on the morphine drip...

Level 8 (300-600 blinds, 600-1200 limit)...In LP with 2,700 left I look down when it's my turn to act and see Ah3h3d8d...There's a raise 3 seats in front of me from a decently tight player...I thought about trying to iso with this hand, but I just didn't pull the trigger because of the pair of 3s...The flop is KJ7, 2 hearts...Turn 9h...I think I'm being results oriented here, but I think I made a huge mistake not playing this hand...

An orbit or so later in the BB with 1,500 chips (including the blind)...Chip leader at the table raises in LP...I look down and see A876, rainbow...Figured I had to do it so I reraise all in...Chip leader calls and I'm in great shape when he shows JJ9Q...Flop of AT5 and everything goes fuzzy there becuase I was so jacked up I hit an A...I eventually river a straight and scoop a nice pot to put me up to 3,300...

The very next hand I look down in the SB to see AcKcJh7h...While not premium I'm hoping to limp with it and see if I can hit...The chip leader who I had just doubled up off of just called, I completed and the BB raised...I REALLY hated that one, but I made a crying call...Flop of AxTc2c...I bet and both call...Turn 7c, I bet and both call...I bet in the dark my last 300...River Kd...Both call and I now have 5,000 chips and am feeling a LOT better right before the dinner break...Unfortunately it came at that time because I was feelin' a rush...I wish we coulda kept playing...At this point 50 players left and even though the average is about 13,000, I still feel good about my chances...I've was all-in a few more times before these 2 and managed to catch splits, but figured if I could double up once I'd be back in the game...

Level 9 (400-800 blinds, 800-1600 limit)...Get moved about 2/3 the way through the level...When I'm moved I have 1,200 chips left and am barely breathing...Look down in MP and find AKd4dT...I figure it ain't gonna get much better so I put my last 1,200 in...Fortunately I'm only HU versus the blinds...Flop of KQ2, rainbow...Blinds check...Turn 8...Blinds check and I'm rootin' for a low to come...River 6, no flushes on board...Blinds check again and I show down my hand and triple up to 3,600...

End level 9...3,600 still on the respirator and hoping to double up because we are starting to get down to crunch time...

Level 10 (500-1000, 1000-2000 limit)...Unfortunately the blinds find me soon after I double up and I can't find a hand to play in the blinds...Get dealt Q44T in the BB and had to muck to a raise...Would have flopped trip 4s and taken the high...Find A7JJ, 3 spades to A-high...There was multi-way action and I didn't think this guy would hold up so I hoped to find something better later, so I mucked...Down to 2,100...

In the hijack a few hands later I look down find Ac6c34...All folded around to me and I felt good with this hand, hoping to get it HU with the blinds so I raised (obviously)...The cutoff who had a decent stack mucked, the button who was on life support as well mucked and the SB who had quadrupled up the hand before mucked...The BB (Omaha Ed from Poker Stars, helluva nice guy, got to talk to him a little while I was at the table) who had a decent chip stack put me all-in for my last 100...I was hoping to see a crappy uncoordinted 4 cards, but he had Q253...I didn't like to see that because he had some potential with those cards working together...The flop was a very interesting Q25 giving me the lead in the hand with my monster wrap...The turn 5 killed my high action and the river 9 put me out in 37th place...

The last hand hurt like hell because I was the favorite going in and on the flop as well, but just couldn't hit...Woulda been a lot easier to go out with a bunch of junk, but when you flop an uncounterfeitable low with a wrap and don't hit, it's such a tease...

I think I held up pretty well for not being a LO8 player...But I welcome all comments on any of these hands because I'm still learning how to play limit...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Trip Report: Foxwoods World Poker Finals

Omaha8sPoker - Thanks for the interesting trip report.

[ QUOTE ]
Level 8 (300-600 blinds, 600-1200 limit)...In LP with 2,700 left I look down when it's my turn to act and see Ah3h3d8d...There's a raise 3 seats in front of me from a decently tight player...I thought about trying to iso with this hand, but I just didn't pull the trigger because of the pair of 3s...The flop is KJ7, 2 hearts...Turn 9h...I think I'm being results oriented here, but I think I made a huge mistake not playing this hand...

[/ QUOTE ]It was a good fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Level 10......
In the hijack a few hands later I look down find Ac6c34...

[/ QUOTE ]Not a bad hand, but not much for high if you miss clubs or a low straight.
[ QUOTE ]
All folded around to me and I felt good with this hand, hoping to get it HU with the blinds so I raised (obviously)...

[/ QUOTE ]Reasonable to raise here - but only if you think there's a fair chance to steal. Otherwise you're coin flipping to double up or bust out. I think you want to keep those coin flips to a minimum.
[ QUOTE ]
The BB .... put me all-in for my last 100...

[/ QUOTE ]So now you're coin flipping.
[ QUOTE ]
...The flop was a very interesting Q25 giving me the lead in the hand with my monster wrap...The turn 5 killed my high action and the river 9 put me out in 37th place...

[/ QUOTE ]Tough luck.
[ QUOTE ]
The last hand hurt like hell because I was the favorite going in and on the flop as well, but just couldn't hit...Woulda been a lot easier to go out with a bunch of junk, but when you flop an uncounterfeitable low with a wrap and don't hit, it's such a tease...

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think that way.

I'm interested in knowing how much interest there is in fixed-limit Omaha-8 tournaments. How many players entered?

Anyhow, congratulations on lasting as long as you did.

Buzz
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM

Nice report, impressive hand memory. I might have gambled earlier and been out or chipped earlier on, but your discipline in waiting also impressed me. Having chips to steal with in these tournaments is invaluable, and to get a big stack and vie for a top payout is the name of game for me.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Buzz while it's true I'm pretty much coin flipping I have no fold equity with my stack at that point (2,100) with the blinds at 500-1,000...The blinds are coming around in about 4 or so more hands so I didn't think I was going to get much better than a sooted Ace to play...Granted I woulda loved to have AK, but I think there you have got to go...That hand in LP with the action folded around to you is going to be really good (in Omaha 8 terms) especially if you can get HU against the blinds...

EDIT: Only 218 players entered...Last year it was around 280-290...
Old 10-27-2007, 01:43 PM

2 handed...Couldn't agree with you more...Was looking for those situations (like the AK42 hand where I picked up the flush draw with the nut low on the turn and I made sure it was capped)...I probably coulda pushed that one A34 hand (not the one I busted on) since I was so strong with the draw, but I felt that I was definitely behind to the player in question so I just went into check-call mode...

I wish my memory was this impressive, I actually wrote all of this down so I could be held accountable if I played like garbage...