Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Everybody should give away their organs upon death

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no supply bottleneck, except the one created by government

[/ QUOTE ]

This intrigues me, there are more people dying and willing to donate organs than there are people needing organs? No sarcasm intended I honestly didn't know this was the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

For quite a few things you don't have to die to donate. Kidneys, bone marrow, and livers can be donated by living donors.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM

As I understand it, Jewish people believe that in order to get into heaven, all of one's body parts must remain intact. Therefore, anyone who donates organs must not only disbelieve this, but must assign an absolute probability of ZERO that this belief is correct, since the penalty for being wrong, eternal damnation, is infinitely greater than even the loss of life itself.

There must be many organ donors here. Are you all 100% sure that this Jewish belief is incorrect? 99.99999% sure won't do.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He means that there are many alkies who now donate plasma for money but would also be willing to donate a kidney for a few months supply of booze. Or that a dead person's family who otherwise would not donate their relative's organs for general humanistic charitable purposes, might be so willing for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

No to both of these.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no supply bottleneck, except the one created by government

[/ QUOTE ]

This intrigues me, there are more people dying and willing to donate organs than there are people needing organs? No sarcasm intended I honestly didn't know this was the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. There are more people dying who would have been willing to sell the rights to their organs in the event of their deaths had they been allowed to. Whether this exceeds the number of people who actually need organs in the same time period is irrelevent. I suppose you could call it a "supply bottleneck", but it certainly the case that it is a much smaller bottleneck than the one created by government by simply outlawing the market.

I have posted a thread on this subject in the past:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, Jewish people believe that in order to get into heaven, all of one's body parts must remain intact. Therefore, anyone who donates organs must not only disbelieve this, but must assign an absolute probability of ZERO that this belief is correct, since the penalty for being wrong, eternal damnation, is infinitely greater than even the loss of life itself.

There must be many organ donors here. Are you all 100% sure that this Jewish belief is incorrect? 99.99999% sure won't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe that you must donate at least one organ to get into heaven. are you 100% sure that this belief is incorrect?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Another exciting way in which to incentivise potential donors, is to let them star on a reality t.v. show and choose among several contestents, who will be the lucky donee. Sort of like . . . oh, this television show: Public outcry over reality t.v. show
Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 PM

I guess I should have been more clear in OP.

I was wondering what the remifications of making it a law for everyone to donate their organs upon death, since close to 99% of people would obviously want to live via organ transplant if they had a serious illness that warranted an organ transplantation.

so if the person had some religious/ethical issues of her own with her dead body getting donated, then she should not be allowed receive an organ if she needed one. is this ethically correct?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I should have been more clear in OP.

I was wondering what the remifications of making it a law for everyone to donate their organs upon death, since close to 99% of people would obviously want to live via organ transplant if they had a serious illness that warranted an organ transplantation.

so if the person had some religious/ethical issues of her own with her dead body getting donated, then she should not be allowed receive an organ if she needed one. is this ethically correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Borodog’s idea. I don’t like the law idea of allowing someone to take my organs without permission, because I’m very suspicious of any authority figure legislating a definition of death in order to timely extract my organs. One law inevitably leads to other clarification laws. I’m a paranoid person.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 PM

Do my wishes survive my death? We honor wills so to some extent they do. I don't care for the government making any more decisions for me than is neccesary and this is one that isn't neccesary.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
unless they otherwise agree that they don't want any organs to be donated to them incase of an accident.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I tend to agree with this idea. It is not fair to get something if you are no willing to give. In the case of death, they extract the organs so that open casket funerals are possible, so i really do not see the problem with organ donation and do not understand why people are against donation. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may sound silly, but I think a lot of the hesitation about this comes from fear of being treated differently at the hospital if you are an organ donor. "Oh, don't worry about reviving him, he has two good kidneys and a nice heart," that sort of thing. There is a long history of mistrust of coroners, undertakers, and doctors when it comes to dead bodies. And for very good reason.