Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Home brewing

Yaboosh,

Yeah, totally agree about the temp control being off basically no matter what. Making something really hoppy to help cover it is something that I didn't even think about, and a really good suggestion.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 PM

Honestly, if you can boil the entire volume, control fermentation temps and pitch ample amounts of yeast in an oxygen rich wort, you are going to make great beer.

RDH, have you tried all late hopping? The only commercial beer that has come close to the hop character I get from all late hopping is a fresh hop ale from Great Divide, and you can obviously only get that around harvest time.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 PM

Nope, but you've got me interested. The only GD beer I've even seen in Nashville is the Titan IPA and it didn't really stand out to me. I'm trying to nail down a Flying Dog clone (love that cascade flavor and aroma) and my new AG system at the same time, so brewing's been a bit rough lately.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 AM

Bumping this old thread with a question.

At work yesterday we were having our home brewers meeting and were tossing around the idea of a group brewing. Assigning base grains to one person, specialty grains to others, hops to others, etc. etc. Anyone have any experience with something similar? Any good ideas for a successful group brewing? I'd imagine about 6 people would show up for this.

For completeness on the trip report at the meeting we had
-Rye Ale (A great workhorse beer with a bit of character)
-American Pale Ale (Flying Dog clone, Very well balanced and smooth, with an outstanding aroma)
-Vanilla Porter (A well rounded porter with a little more than a hint of vanilla, over carbonation caused one to erupt in the conference room)
-Sunny Oats Ale (Light, oaty and slightly bitter with a nice amber color)
-Irish Red (Typical Irish red style with a slightly diluted taste due to brewing difficulties)
-Belgian Abbey Singel (A rare Abbey style with a very approachable front end and a complex finish)

We've got one leech that was allowed into the club that doesn't brew. He brings fantastic off the shelf beers. Monday's meeting had
-Avery Maharajah Imperial IPA (hop heads rejoice)
-Bear Republic's Racer 5 (Another fantastic IPA)
-Dogfish Head's Midas touch (A very interesting premise, but too much honey was the consensus, they resurrected 5000 year old yeast for this one)

Luckily after all this beer, home was just a 5 minute bike ride from work.