Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Is there a real difference between golf balls?

Went for a walk round an old golf course & found hunnerds of balls. Almost all different. Pink ones, bright green ones, but mainly all white of various brands/names (my favourites have a killer whale on one and a fishing boat on another).

Anyway, does the difference in golf ball brand/model really make a big difference in stuff like distance/trajectory/roll etc. like they suggest by the prinitng on teh balls/
Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Is there a real difference between golf balls?

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/archive...php/t-881.html

I think getting the model number and googling is going to be the only way to really identif what type of ball it is.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Wow.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM

Yes there is a pretty big difference for good players. But, for your average weekend hacker there really isn't that much of a difference. Of course this doesn't stop the average hacker from spending $40 for a dozen balls when the $15 a dozen balls would work about the same for their game.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes there is a pretty big difference for good players. But, for your average weekend hacker there really isn't that much of a difference. Of course this doesn't stop the average hacker from spending $40 for a dozen balls when the $15 a dozen balls would work about the same for their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact for the average hack the cheap balls are BETTER. The expensive balls spin more, which makes it more difficult to hit straight shots, but easier to curve shots and use spin. The good players can do that. The hacker just adds 10 yards of slice to his 35 yard slice drive.

I'm a hack (shoot 95-105 standard, 84 low, unlimited high), and I play about the $20 balls, b/c I hate chipping and pitching the super super cheap balls. But I'm not good enough to take advantage of the really expensive ones. Also, I lose them too fast.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Yes if you’re good enough to consistently hit the sweet spot not so much for the average Jo.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact for the average hack the cheap balls are BETTER. The expensive balls spin more, which makes it more difficult to hit straight shots, but easier to curve shots and use spin. The good players can do that. The hacker just adds 10 yards of slice to his 35 yard slice drive.

I'm a hack (shoot 95-105 standard, 84 low, unlimited high), and I play about the $20 balls, b/c I hate chipping and pitching the super super cheap balls. But I'm not good enough to take advantage of the really expensive ones. Also, I lose them too fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the new top flite D2 ball. They are only a buck a piece and they are softer than ProV1 or HXTour.

I saw a demo ball around Christmas time that was blank except for this: RFIDF07.

Found out later that when top flite was testing the ball they didn't was good players knowing that it was a top flite because of their reputation. It stands for "Rock Flite Is Dead For 07"
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree to a point. I'm a total hack and I used to buy the cheap top flites. One time I spent a couple extra bucks (still very cheap) for some Nike ball. It had a noticeably softer feel, and I won't go back to the top flites.

I certainly wouldn't spend a lot if you suck, but it's worth sampling a few that aren't the absolute cheapest.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM

I still use X-OUTS. I'm a cheap bastard and honestly don't notice any difference. That being said, I'm not very good (low 80's at my peak, probably mid-90's now having not played much recently).
Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree to a point. I'm a total hack and I used to buy the cheap top flites. One time I spent a couple extra bucks (still very cheap) for some Nike ball. It had a noticeably softer feel, and I won't go back to the top flites.

I certainly wouldn't spend a lot if you suck, but it's worth sampling a few that aren't the absolute cheapest.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I'm a hack too and I hit noticeably better with a good ball