Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 06:11 AM

Default 9 sng vs 10 sng - ROI

In cash games there is not big diference if you are playing on 9 players table or 10 players table.
For me it is interestring how ROI% change if you compare 2 king of tables but in sng tournaments.
For example what is ROI% for $10 sng for both of them?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: 9 sng vs 10 sng - ROI

A solid player would potentialy have a higher expected ROI on 10 handed games over 9 handed games.
I think this was higlighted when a lot of party players (10 handed STTs) moved to stars (9 handed STTs), although there were other factors involved like less fish and different blind structure.
Ofcourse 10 vs 9 is going to make a bigger difference in STTs compared to cashaments as all the money on the table is always getting shipped to the top 3 finishers of an STT.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:47 AM

wtf?

a 9 person SNG has only 9/10ths the prize pool.

there may be some marginal difference, if any, but it is hardly going to be statistically significant.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Well I wouldn't like to quantify exactly what the difference in ROI would be but I'd guess that the higher payout in a 10 handed STT would more than offset the slightly decreased ITM% for someone playing the standard tight early / aggro late strategy enough to be significant.
What would you class as significant? Even a few percent is significant imho.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf?

a 9 person SNG has only 9/10ths the prize pool.

there may be some marginal difference, if any, but it is hardly going to be statistically significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've hashed this out a few times.

The more players, the more leverage there is for a skill edge. Generalize up to 2-table, 3-table, 10-table, and 100-table multis, for example (250% ROI is quite reasonable in the latter).

The difference between 10 and 9 players isn't large, but it is there. I think you may be misusing (or misunderstanding) the idea of "statistical significance". A small but real difference will eventually become statistically significant, given enough trials. Plus since the edge in STTs is so small to begin with, even one or two raw percentage points is "significant" in terms of earnings potential.

All that said, we'll never know for sure, because of the many other confounding factors that have made STTs teh suck since Black Friday. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]