Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: A hand that aejones played

[ QUOTE ]
this is the worst gimmick ive ever seen

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Unless...this is a reference to an old John Kane post, and if it is, then it's A+.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a) i don't see how that's relevant, i don't think he ever shows up with a hand that falls between those two.

b) see op

c) i don't know

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi J,

How in the world can xorbie check this river with JJ-99 (a large portion of his range). Do you not see how awful that would be? FWIW, aejones gives xorbie more credit than that in this spot, he knows he'd likely try to get value out of someone like jones who had his fold button revoked for lack of use recently.

Cheers,
FS

[/ QUOTE ]

granted i don't have a ton of history with either of you, but i don't think he bets/folds those hands if he does indeed bet them
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a) i don't see how that's relevant, i don't think he ever shows up with a hand that falls between those two.

b) see op

c) i don't know

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi J,

How in the world can xorbie check this river with JJ-99 (a large portion of his range). Do you not see how awful that would be? FWIW, aejones gives xorbie more credit than that in this spot, he knows he'd likely try to get value out of someone like jones who had his fold button revoked for lack of use recently.

Cheers,
FS

[/ QUOTE ]

granted i don't have a ton of history with either of you, but i don't think he bets/folds those hands if he does indeed bet them

[/ QUOTE ]

my first reaction was that it's somewhat spewy, but i think it's totally possible that xorbie bet/folds these hands for value because he thinks jones will call worse but not raise worse. in fact, i think these are his most likely hands. unless he has seen jones make moves like this before or he expects it coming or something, jones is repping 22/77/88/qq maybe even aa/kk and some random backdoor flushes pretty well. i don't know how slim his river raising range is but i assume for all the hands that call pf and flop, it's only a small % of them. so i don't think it's awesome but i don't think it's totally spew either. obv high variance and probably slightly -ev if i had to guess.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 PM

I like it better deeper
This move repeats "I don't respect your game"
If he folds a better pair you're right.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:57 PM

Trying to rep the runner-runner flush is unlikely to work because villain is going to assume you bet out on the turn when you hit the flush draw (what else would you do if you call the flop?). I think you get a bluff to fold, but anything value-betting there calls, because he wont be able to put you on a hand that has him beat, so I dont like.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Results: I had AK and took a few seconds before folding. aejones showed what I guess he thought was a sick bluff (mostly because he told me how it was such a sick play).

Further results: I continue to 3bet aejones with hands that are better than J7o and he continues to call with hands that are that bad. I make moniez.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results: I had AK and took a few seconds before folding. aejones showed what I guess he thought was a sick bluff (mostly because he told me how it was such a sick play).

Further results: I continue to 3bet aejones with hands that are better than J7o and he continues to call with hands that are that bad. I make moniez.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh
Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi xorbie,

I believe I was sweating this table, and if I recall correctly, jones did not show, rather told you in the chat box what he had. Either way, nice hand.

Cheers,
FS
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM

Would you mind asking your buddy if he thinks that it's a profitable play to call a 3 bet with any two against a 'solidish thinking' regular?

Or did he ask you to post this because he really believed xorbie made a big laydown? Would he have still asked you to post it if the river was a king?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you mind asking your buddy if he thinks that it's a profitable play to call a 3 bet with any two against a 'good thinking' regular?

Or did he ask you to post this because he really believed xorbie made a big laydown? Would he have still asked you to post it if the river was a king?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi J,

ae likes to mix up his 3-bet calling range to confuse his opponents. Not everyone is perfect, it is quite possible he made a mistake EV wise in this situation due to tilt, xorbie running hot, etc. There is a high likely hood the bluff would not taken place if the river was a king, in my opinion. I think that ae put xorbie squarely on a hand like TT. The fact that xorbie bet AK on this river baffles ae, I'm sure.

Cheers,
FS