Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Location: \"If it shows their cards why did you keep betting?\"
Default Re: AEJONES: What is your take on this?

i suck with the search function and don't really want to look for it anyway, but didn't aejones start up a thread about checking the turn for value a while back? probably a little bit after last year's PCA. It basically said that checking the turn behind can get you paid off by weaker holdings on the river and that, if you're okay with giving free cards/know which cards ruin your hand on the river, checking behind on the turn is an excellent way to get value.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: AEJONES: What is your take on this?

[ QUOTE ]
i suck with the search function and don't really want to look for it anyway, but didn't aejones start up a thread about checking the turn for value a while back? probably a little bit after last year's PCA. It basically said that checking the turn behind can get you paid off by weaker holdings on the river and that, if you're okay with giving free cards/know which cards ruin your hand on the river, checking behind on the turn is an excellent way to get value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Paul,

Thank you for remembering this, I took the liberty of looking up the theory post that he made. As I recall at the time, he believed this to be very useful for him. He's told me since then, however, that as he moved up through 600 and 1000NL, the same theory doesn't necessarily apply. Due to the increased aggression, the likelihood of playing a hand much faster at these higher levels increases, bluffing frequencies increase, and people believe you less on the turn and more on the river. Of course checking behind in certain games is profitable, but as the style of play changes, you simply must adjust. ae's post was well written and well thought out, and it is my opinion that he not only had the best intentions in mind, but made a useful post for the 200-400 NL level in many ways. However, ae has since conceded that MDMA wrote a lot of good things in that thread.

In general, I think you may find the post and thread interesting, but I do think (and I think ae would agree with me) that these are very specific situations, and certainly in 3-bet pots. Either way, it should get the ball rolling with you thought process-wise.

Cheers,
FS

P.S. Theory- Checking the turn for Value