Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Question re EV+ versus a blind reraise all-in

I don't remember the exact situation but as this is a theoretical question, close enough will be . . . close enough. (A hand very similar to this occurred in the HU tourney on Sunday.)

Starting Stacks:
Player A (let's call him Andy) has 120 in chips
Player B (let's call him Mike) has 40 in chips
Situation #1: Blinds are 1/2
Situation #2: Blinds are 2/4

Player B tells Player A that if A raises preflop blind, B will push all-in blind. Well, player A, Andy, is a 'math guy' and knows exactly what his odds will be with any given two cards against two random cards. So he figures this is +EV, and minraises.

Player B, Mikey, true to his word, pushes all-in.

Before he looks down at his cards, what is Andy's EV for Situation #1 and Situation #2?

(What happened, by the way, is that Andy picked up Q7o, thought about folding because there was a reasonable chance that B would do this again in future hands, realized that there was no guarantee of this, and called. He lost the hand but won the HU match due to similarly goofy play later on.)
Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Question re EV+ versus a blind reraise all-in

I bet if David asked this question there would have been 100 responses already. Ya bastards . . . [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Question re EV+ versus a blind reraise all-in

Without attempting any math i will take a wild stab at it.

With 1/2 blinds Andy would likely be in a great situation here. Mike doesn't stand to gain much relative to the blinds or stacks, but he risks Andy waking up with a hand that's'a big favorite vs a random hand.

With 2/4 blinds it's' still +EV for Andy but now Mike stands to gain more the times that Andy folds.

From a purely theoretical perspective Andy does not even need the proverbial "computer hand" to break even on a call (because of the blinds and subsequent pot odds).

However if the blinds are 1/2 he might not want to play a hand that was just barely +EV. There will be plenty of opportunities in the near future where Andy will have far the best of it, thus he could afford to give up very small edges now, expecting a much bigger edge in the near future. With 2/4 blinds Andy would lose chips fast enough where he could not be all that picky on passing up an edge.

I'm interested to see if i am right here, looking forward to responses in this thread.

Al