Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Worst movies you\'ve ever seen

Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nath - I do kinda agree with that guy. Lost in Translation does not have too much to read into atall tbh (good or bad). Its a sweet story about companionship and making a connection in a very unlikely place/with a very unlikely person. Its kinda superficial and sugar-coated, but imo that gives it a lot of its charm. I think its a mistake and kinda missing the point to read too much into a film like this. You say its been done and done better - examples?

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone who told me to see this movie insisted it was absolutely amazing. So when it wasn't, yeah, I was a little let down. I didn't really connect with either of the characters-- they didn't feel real to me. And when that's the case, this movie doesn't really have much else to offer. People sold it to me like it was life-changing and were actually indignant when I didn't like it as much as they did. I wrote a treatise on this once... I can probably find it somewhere.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM

I agree. I really like the film mainly because I like the characters/the film makes me feel good. I think the people who think it is life-changing either do not really know what life-changing means or are finding an awful lot of meaning in something where there really isn't that much (at least not revolutionary or exotic atall).
Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Life Aquatic was awful.

-d
Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 AM

The Notebook
Old 08-23-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nath - I do kinda agree with that guy. Lost in Translation does not have too much to read into atall tbh (good or bad). Its a sweet story about companionship and making a connection in a very unlikely place/with a very unlikely person. Its kinda superficial and sugar-coated, but imo that gives it a lot of its charm. I think its a mistake and kinda missing the point to read too much into a film like this. You say its been done and done better - examples?

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone who told me to see this movie insisted it was absolutely amazing. So when it wasn't, yeah, I was a little let down. I didn't really connect with either of the characters-- they didn't feel real to me. And when that's the case, this movie doesn't really have much else to offer. People sold it to me like it was life-changing and were actually indignant when I didn't like it as much as they did. I wrote a treatise on this once... I can probably find it somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described my Magnolia experience pretty well.

Oh yeah also, the thing about movies is - no movie on earth can live up to over-hyping. Seriously, if you really like a movie and want your friends to see it, try to get them to go w/o too much bombastic praise. Otherwise you will ruin it for them 100% of the time.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, Burning Man is the only thing I've ever known that can actually live up to over-hype.

And now I'm going to check and see if I used bombastic correctly...

eh, close enough
Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I really like the film mainly because I like the characters/the film makes me feel good. I think the people who think it is life-changing either do not really know what life-changing means or are finding an awful lot of meaning in something where there really isn't that much (at least not revolutionary or exotic atall).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. It was really hyped to me, and my reaction to the movie upon seeing it was... "So that's it? That's all that happens?"

The movie's entirely character-driven, so if you don't connect with the characters... then yeah, it just doesn't work.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Last night on Comedy Central I saw 2001: A Space Travesty, starring Leslie Nielson. It was so bad I had to watch the whole thing. Easily the worstest movie I've ever seen.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM

Alexander

Lost in Translation
Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Kung Pow: Enter the Fist"

I was traumatized.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i forgot this movie even existed. i saw it with a couple of friends in a literally empty theatre. we laughed hysterically at all the awfulness for the first 15 minutes, like killing ourselves laughing, then sat in horror for the next hour until we left. seriously terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ye, same story. Add to the picture 11am slot after a sleepless night out and the only two other people in the theater - some giggling junkies high on something in the back row.