Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Default flush on 5th - maximizing money

I am pretty new to stud but I have been playing profitably on FTP for a few weeks between the .5/1 and 2/4 levels. I feel like I often make very beginner mistakes and this may have been one of them. 4th hand of the session so no real reads yet.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (5.45 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (4.73 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.73 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.73 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (10.73 BB - $21.45)

Is there a way for me to maximize my profitability here? Should I check 5th? 6th?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: flush on 5th - maximizing money

Absent a specific read on any of the players, the best play is to keep betting exactly like you did.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 AM

You collected a bet from all active players on every street. If you had checked at any point, you likely would have missed those bets. Even if someone had bet, they might not have called a check-raise. In high-only stud, if you have the best hand, it's usually best to just bet it.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 AM

You played it optimally, in my opinion. You have to bet to get called and build a pot.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 AM

I'm new to stud, too, and i'm wondering: does anybody raise 3rd street here? Three to a flush, two face cards, no Ace, no King, no heart showing, is that a call or a raise?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to stud, too, and i'm wondering: does anybody raise 3rd street here? Three to a flush, two face cards, no Ace, no King, no heart showing, is that a call or a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think a completion is? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Ah, i see. I seem to be newer to stud than i thought [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM

this is of couse a raising hand. but the main thing to consider is the type of opponents when you make these types of raises. if they are sharp enough to jam you out when you miss on 4th. then be less likely to raise.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:02 PM

So, if Hero catches say the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on 4th and bets out, he could face a raise and reraise from two hands that are just good enough to go for an isolation raise? If Hero then only calls the two bets, the draw is pretty obvious, and reraising risks getting the pot heads-up with Ace high, which is not good either. Hm, i hadn't thought about that.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:52 PM

$1/2 stud players don't three-bet fourth street often enough to worry about it.