Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Whats The Significance of Double Checking Cards??

I always see pros double check their whole cards on tv, and I was wondering why? I never look back at my cards. I was wondering if they do this to give off a false tell of weakness, or do they really not remember what they have.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Whats The Significance of Double Checking Cards??

they do not remeber their cards so the look again imo
Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they do not remeber their cards so the look again imo

[/ QUOTE ]
If thats the case they need brain games for Nintendo DS to help improve their memory....Another theory, it may help them think and dissect hands better by visualizing their whole cards to the board????
Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM

well they do it when they flop the nuts and need to make sure.
you should fold out of turn immediately
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always see pros double check their whole cards on tv, and I was wondering why? I never look back at my cards. I was wondering if they do this to give off a false tell of weakness, or do they really not remember what they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching Fred "Moe Greene" Chamanara on HSP when they were at the Palms and he had Mikey to his left. He was in a hand with Mikey and they both flopped flushes. Fred looked at his hole cards at least three times after the flop came on board. I would have liked to have asked Mikey what he thought Fred had considering all those glances. Did Mikey think Fred only had the ace and needed one more heart. Apparantly so, since Mike did the betting and found his flush (I think he had a Jack) wasn't good enough.

That gets a bit away from you question but if you are playing against most people, I think you will find they are rechecking to verify the suit(s) of their cards because they think they may have flushed or be drawing to one.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 PM

It's not the double checking *during* a hand that puzzled me, but I swear they check their cards everytime after the hand is *over*, then they muck them. What is that all about?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the double checking *during* a hand that puzzled me, but I swear they check their cards everytime after the hand is *over*, then they muck them. What is that all about?

[/ QUOTE ]I think this is mostly for television, to make sure the camera knows the cards.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think this is mostly for television, to make sure the camera knows the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bad habit they picked up years before when they were low limit players. When another player reluctantly folds a hand instead of making a big call the winning player sometimes will look crushed, as if that just cost him a bunch of money, peek at his cards and sadly hand them back to the dealer.

This is the kind of stuff you online players are missing. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not for TV. I'm not exactly sure why, but I and lots of live players do this.

-Tom
Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not for TV. I'm not exactly sure why, but I and lots of live players do this.

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I really just use it to confirm in my head that what just happened ACTUALLY happened. This helps me remember it later to go back and retell/think about it.