Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Law School Application Time

I figure around now is about the time to start my applications. I know there are other threads about the whole law life - this is not to bash/praise law school or the practise of law. This thread is specifically for questions about applying to law school.

Here are some of my questions for the experts.

1. I have a 3.62 GPA and 165 LSAT. I am graduating this year from a supposedly intensive program at a good school in Canada (UBC Commerce). Looking at the US News Rankings, I seem to be around the 25th percentile for acceptance in both categories for schools ranked around 8-12. I don't have any special circumstances like socioeconomic disadvantage and I'm not a minority. I have a reasonable amount of extracurriculars/volunteer work/work experience. Do I have a reasonable shot at getting into a school such as Cornell or Berkley (or better)? Or should I not waste my money applying?

2. How important is the personal statement? What should really go in there? Most schools say the topic is entirely up to me. Currently I just have a narrative of why I chose law, why I would be a good fit, and a bit about my extracurriculars. It seems a little dry and boring though - is this going to be a problem? If anyone wanted to read my statement and give me tips, that would be amazing.

3. How important are the recommendation letters? I was never really close to any of my profs, and none know me that well. I have two that agreed to write letters, but I really don't know how much they will have to say about me. Is this going to have a large impact?

4. Just a procedure question - my recommendation letters might take a while to get submitted (maybe by mid dec or so). Should I submit the rest of my applications to the assorted schools through LSAC now, or wait until those are in?

Any other tips/advice for applications would be awesome.